[NatureNS] W Conifer Seed Bugs are showing up in numbers

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 17:10:12 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

The first time I noticed the Western Conifer Seed Bug (Leptoglossus occidentals) in Lunenburg Co. was two Falls ago as they buzzed around the house. They seem to be becoming much more abundant now (or maybe I only think that b/c I recognize them). At three locations I was at today (Bridgewater, Big Lots and Corkums Island) WCS Bugs were present.

Others will be seeing these relatively large (20mm body length) Bugs (either outside or, more likely, inside) so here are some pictures to help identify them. It is an impressive insect:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/9881296133/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/9881192295/
This one was scaling a vertical surface super fast. I had trouble keeping up with the camera as it climbed.

BugGuide says on its info page http://bugguide.net/node/view/3393: "These bugs cannot bite/sting/infect people or pets, damage houses or household items, or even reproduce indoors. (Iowa State U.) If molested, they give off a pungent odor as defense."

Best to treat them kindly, Nancy