[NatureNS] Fwd: Greenlaw Mountain Hawk Watch Fall 2013 Report

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 19:50:48 -0400
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c2e60aa2aceb04eb905644

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Todd Watts <fishbird@xplornet.ca>
Date: Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Subject: Greenlaw Mountain Hawk Watch Fall 2013 Report
To: NATURENB@listserv.unb.ca

Greenlaw Mountain Hawk Watch Fall 2013

Season five has come to an end. Counts for this year produced new highs as
well as some lows. It was a very interesting year overall with a busy first
half of the season followed by an unusual month of October. Much was
learned as we transition from collection of base data to documenting
trends. Public interest and participation continues to be high. The
potential for learning continues to be great. Even with five years behind
us, we are really just getting started.

Migrating raptors were counted on 38 days between August 23 to November 4
with a total of 259.5 observation hours logged. The total number of
migrating hawks counted for the season was 6841. This year's count total
was our second highest on record and we counted more birds of prey in total
than many sites well to our south and west (due to the large numbers of
Broad-wings counted at our site). Single day high counts for 2 species were
recorded. We also recorded season low counts for 5 species.

Count Protocols
As in previous seasons, this year's counts were conducted on days
considered to have favourable winds and a general lack of significant
precipitation. Hawks moving roughly east to west were considered migrants.
Because of the presence of resident raptors, some species were watched more
closely during certain portions of the season to ensure accuracy of our
counts. Partial and full-year residents near the site include Bald Eagle,
Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk,
Northern Goshawk and Turkey Vulture. Eagles and vultures are typically the
most difficult to monitor as the daily movements of these resident birds
can be great.

A Quick Look at the Season

August
Early season counts went quite well with good winds occurring during the
last week of the month. This resulted in a higher than average number of
hawks counted. Resident raptors were present, however, their numbers seemed
to be low and there were lower than usual activity levels over and around
the site.

September
The first two weeks of the month produced modest flights of the usual
raptors. The first good flight of Broad-wings occurred on the 15th with 276
counted for the day. On the 17th, cloudless skies and a relatively strong
North wind produced 1885 Broad-wings. Kettles containing over 100 birds
were observed several times. Mid-afternoon flights were very high. A few
flocks could not be seen even with eight-power optics. Some birds remained
high through late afternoon. One group of high flying birds, consisting of
roughly 100 individuals, was still observed at great heights just before
6:00PM. Smaller groups of birds moving at lower altitudes were observed
during the next hour. Several volunteers were onsite for much of the day,
helping to spot the approaching raptors. The following day brought another
816 hawks (mostly Broad-wings). Counts then backed off for a day and then
another 1107 hawks were counted on September 20th. Nearly all of them were
counted before Noon. Since the official counter was the only observer that
day, many birds could have been missed. Smaller flights followed for about
one week, until a flight of 690 hawks was documented on the 26th. The
official counter was, once again, the only observer. Movements of Kestrels
and Sharp-shins were fairly steady through the month, but without any
impressive flights other than a movement of 37 Kestrels. This flight
occurred largely within a two hour period late in the day.

October
This was a month to be remembered. Weather was somewhat unusual with a
general lack of favourable winds occurring during the daylight hours.
Raptor movements for several species were very light. Low counts were
observed almost right from the start. Sharp-shinned Hawk counts were often
single digit. Typically in other years, we would see several days with
counts of fifty of more. This month, however, finished off with only 132
counted in total. Prior to this year, this species lowest count for the
month of October was 281. Red-tailed Hawk counts didn't fare any better.
All of their single-day counts were single digit, well below their
'normal'. Only 45 were counted for the month. Prior to this year, their
lowest count for October was 130. Peregrine Falcon counts were also quite
low. Six were counted compared with a previous average of sixteen for the
month. Cooper's Hawk counts were half their normal. We usually see several
Red-shoulders, but only one was counted. Osprey numbers were also low.
Surprisingly, the American Kestrel held its own. Population decline for
this species has been widely reported for quite some time and our raptor
counts were down overal, so low numbers for this month were expected. One
other high point was a late group of 27 Broad-wings showing up on October
11th at 5:55PM, which was quite late in the day, as well as the year for
this species. Non-raptor migrants were also in short supply this month.
However, we did have some interesting non-raptor visiters drop in (i.e.
Northern Shrike). We also enjoyed numerous close sightings of raptors
despite the low counts.

November
Only 12.5 hours of observation were logged this month, still we did count
some birds. This year's biggest flights of Red-tailed Hawks occurred on the
third and fourth of the month. However, counts were not impressive in any
way. We recorded a single Red-shouldered Hawk, a couple of Goshawks and a
few other species. The last migrant of the year was a lone Turkey Vulture.

As has been the case in previous years, the trails leading to the site
produced some birds of interest. A Blue-winged Warbler was likely the most
exciting.

Analysis of Flight Trends
Yearly flights are strongly influenced by weather. The number of birds
counted in migration can directly reflect the weather's affect on breeding
success as well as its affect on daily flights or both. Unfavourable wind
conditions occurring during migration can cause raptors to move over more
of a broad front. When this occurs, a smaller portion of the population
will likely be counted. Deviation from 'normal' weather during the breeding
season can strongly affect reproductive success and the number of immature
birds counted during migration. These results can be favourable or adverse.
Human influences can also impact flight trends. Typically, these trends can
only be detected through long-term monitoring.

Some of this year's numbers almost certainly show the effects of relatively
poor weather during this year's breeding season. A general lack of
favourable winds occurred during the first half of October. That likely
combined with the effects of poor breeding success, producing the low
number of hawks counted during the month of October.

Importance of Greenlaw Mountain Hawk Watch Data
Raptor populations can be negatively impacted by forestry practises,
pesticide use, the placement of structures in migration routes and other
human activities. The data collected through this project contributes
important information about raptor populations, their migration routes and
the timing of migration. These efforts support the identification of
species in decline and inform recovery efforts.

Greenlaw Mountain is the northeastern most hawk watch site in North
America. The majority of 'our' hawks are likely just starting their
journey. The majority of hawk watches, however, observe hawks that have
been traveling for days, weeks or even months. We might be the most
strategically placed to observe hawks early in migration.

Personal Notes
It is a privilege to be able to conduct this project and I am thrilled that
we are generating so much knowledge of regional hawk migration and raptor
populations. It is my intention to do all that I can to keep the project
going and to further develop our regional understanding of and appreciation
for birds of prey. Continuing to build our database will show important
trends in raptor populations and their movements. The project is still very
young and much more work needs to be done.

We have five years worth of data behind us, yet I often feel like we are
really just getting started. The flights documented in these first years
really only represent base data. In my opinion, we are just starting to
understand hawk migration along this part of the bay.

Counting hawks on the mountain is a constant learning experience and I feel
as though we learned more this year than any year except our first.
Broad-wings were documented this year in numbers similar to the 'big
flights' of 2011. When those big flights were first recorded, we did not
know if they were a twenty-year event or something rather common. Evidence
is starting to suggest that it might be more of the later. The late-day, as
well as, late-in-the season flights of Broad-winged Hawks documented this
year are also providing great opportunities for learning. Seeing large
flocks of Broad-wings moving very late in the day suggests to me that we
might need to extend our observation periods during peak season. Some of
these birds remained at high altitudes much later in the day than I
expected. Another thing to watch is the reoccurrence of late in the season
flights (Late-September/early October for Broad-wings). They are starting
to suggest the presence of birds from Nova Scotia. The 'unusual' flights of
hawks this October are also great learning opportunities. All of these
things demonstrate how much learning potential there is or perhaps more to
the point, how little we know.

This project is supported by the New Brunswick Wildlife Trust Fund.
Additional support comes from individual supporters and our volunteers.

Thanks and Recognition
Special thanks go out to all of the volunteers. They often leave the hawk
watch thanking the official counter for the experience, but the greatest
thanks goes to them. Their help is critical to our success. No one person,
no matter how skilled and dedicated, can possibly see and identify all of
the hawks. Thanks also to the hawk watch committee members. They have
volunteered many hours to the administration of this project. Hank Scarth
chairs the committee and has been instrumental in our success. Additional
thanks goes to the property owners and our supporters. We couldn't do this
without you!

Conclusion
We are seeking feedback on this project. Please let us know your thoughts
on the daily reports, flight forecasts, your experiences at the hawk watch
or any other aspect of the project. We also welcome letters of support, as
they help us in our pursuit of funding. Our mission is far from complete.
We are just starting to get a handle on hawk migration through New
Brunswick.
We hope to see everyone again next year!

Species Accounts

Turkey Vulture
Earliest Observation*: August 25
Latest Observation: November 4
Single Day High Count: 22 (October 6)
Peak**: Early October
Season Total: 173

This year's counts were down from last, but still show a clear upward trend.

Osprey
Earliest Observation: August 23
Latest Observation: October 12
Single Day High Count: 14 (August 23)
Peak: Early September
Season Total: 166

This species appears to have moved earlier in the season than previous
years. The total number of individuals counted was slightly above our
previous average.

Bald Eagle
Earliest Observation: August 23
Latest Observation: November 4
Single Day High Count: 9 (September 15)
Peak: No clear peak period was observed for this season.
Season Total: 41

This year's counts were our lowest ever recorded for this species.

Golden Eagle
No records this season.

Northern Harrier
Earliest Observation: August 24
Latest Observation: November 4
Single Day High Count: 7 (October 12)
Peak: September/October
Season Total: 52

This year's counts were below average, likely a predictable outcome of a
very wet breeding season for this ground nester.

Sharp-shinned Hawk
Earliest Observation: August 23
Latest Observation: November 4
Single Day High Count: 49 (September 19)
Peak: September
Season Total: 520

Our lowest count ever for this species and well below our average of 676.
This species might have also moved early(as well as in low numbers).

Cooper's Hawk
Earliest Observation: September 14
Latest Observation: October 19
Single Day High: 3 (September 19)
Peak: No clear peak.
Season Total: 9

This year's counts were our lowest ever.

Northern Goshawk
Earliest Observation: September 28
Latest Observation: November 7
Single Day High Count: 3 (October 21)
Peak: October
Season Total: 15

A slightly higher than average number.

Red-shouldered Hawk
Earliest Observation: September 9
Latest Observation: November 4
Single Day High Count: 1
Peak: Late Season is typical for this species. However, our numbers are not
adequate to represent a peak.
Season Total: 3

This year's counts were our lowest ever for this species..

Broad-winged Hawk
Earliest Observation: August 23
Latest Observation: October 21 (quite late)
Single Day High Count: 1885 (September 17)
Peak: Mid-September
Season Total: 5405

Very good numbers for this species. This years total is similar to the
previous season high count set in 2011. Future counts could show that this
is a fairly typical number. Some of the late movements of this species at
our site are very interesting. Much more study is needed.

Red-tailed Hawk
Earliest Observation: August 24
Latest Observation: November 4
Single Day High Count: 23 (November 4)
Peak: Early November
Season Total: 132

Our lowest season total for this species. Prior to this season, our average
was 237.

Rough-legged Hawk
This raptor has yet to be counted during the fall season. Several have been
observed moving past our site during spring migration.

American Kestrel
Earliest Observation: August 23
Latest Observation: October 27
Single Day High Count: 37 (September 27)***
Peak: Mid-September to early October
Season Total: 200***

Our highest season count beating the prior record by one.

Merlin
Earliest Observation: August 30
Latest Observation: October 23
Single Day High Count: 12 (September 27)***
Peak: Early through mid- October
Season Total: 42

A fairly average count.

Peregrine Falcon
Earliest Observation: August 23
Latest Observation: October 23
Single Day High Count: 2 (September 17)
Peak: September/October
Season Total: 12

Our lowest recorded season total. 21 was our previous average.

Unidentified Accipiter
Season Total: 0

Unidentified Buteo
Season Total: 0

Unidentified Falcon
Season Total: 4

Unidentified Eagle
Season Total: 1

Unidentified Raptor
Season Total: 66

Combined Season Total For Migrating Raptors: 6841

* Earliest and latest observations refer only to hawks counted as migrants.

** Peaks for each species listed above are for this year. Peaks can vary
from one year to the next.

*** Denotes a record count.

Todd Watts
Project Co-ordinator and Official Counter
Greenlaw Mountain Hawk Watch
Saint John Naturalists' Club
fishbird@xplornet.ca
506 529-4656
NatureNB guidelines  http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbe.html
Foire aux questions de NatureNB  http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbf.html

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--001a11c2e60aa2aceb04eb905644

n dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fishbird@xplornet.ca">fishbird@xplornet=

Date: Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM<br>Subject: Greenlaw Mountain Hawk Watch=
 Fall 2013 Report<br>To: <a href=3D"mailto:NATURENB@listserv.unb.ca">NATURE=

Season five has come to an end. Counts for this year produced new highs as =
well as some lows. It was a very interesting year overall with a busy first=
 half of the season followed by an unusual month of October. Much was learn=
ed as we transition from collection of base data to documenting trends. Pub=
lic interest and participation continues to be high. The potential for lear=
ning continues to be great. Even with five years behind us, we are really j=
ust getting started.<br>

Migrating raptors were counted on 38 days between August 23 to November 4 w=
ith a total of 259.5 observation hours logged. The total number of migratin=
g hawks counted for the season was 6841. This year&#39;s count total was ou=
r second highest on record and we counted more birds of prey in total than =
many sites well to our south and west (due to the large numbers of Broad-wi=
ngs counted at our site). Single day high counts for 2 species were recorde=
d. We also recorded season low counts for 5 species.<br>

Count Protocols<br>
As in previous seasons, this year&#39;s counts were conducted on days consi=
dered to have favourable winds and a general lack of significant precipitat=
ion. Hawks moving roughly east to west were considered migrants. Because of=
 the presence of resident raptors, some species were watched more closely d=
uring certain portions of the season to ensure accuracy of our counts. Part=
ial and full-year residents near the site include Bald Eagle, Broad-winged =
Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Northern Goshaw=
k and Turkey Vulture. Eagles and vultures are typically the most difficult =
to monitor as the daily movements of these resident birds can be great.<br>

A Quick Look at the Season<br>
August<br>
Early season counts went quite well with good winds occurring during the la=
st week of the month. This resulted in a higher than average number of hawk=
s counted. Resident raptors were present, however, their numbers seemed to =
be low and there were lower than usual activity levels over and around the =
site.<br>

September<br>
[...]
r period late in the day.<br>

October<br>
This was a month to be remembered. Weather was somewhat unusual with a gene=
ral lack of favourable winds occurring during the daylight hours. Raptor mo=
vements for several species were very light. Low counts were observed almos=
t right from the start. Sharp-shinned Hawk counts were often single digit. =
Typically in other years, we would see several days with counts of fifty of=
 more. This month, however, finished off with only 132 counted in total. Pr=
ior to this year, this species lowest count for the month of October was 28=
1. Red-tailed Hawk counts didn&#39;t fare any better. All of their single-d=
ay counts were single digit, well below their &#39;normal&#39;. Only 45 wer=
e counted for the month. Prior to this year, their lowest count for October=
 was 130. Peregrine Falcon counts were also quite low. Six were counted com=
pared with a previous average of sixteen for the month. Cooper&#39;s Hawk c=
ounts were half their normal. We usually see several Red-shoulders, but onl=
y one was counted. Osprey numbers were also low. Surprisingly, the American=
 Kestrel held its own. Population decline for this species has been widely =
reported for quite some time and our raptor counts were down overal, so low=
 numbers for this month were expected. One other high point was a late grou=
p of 27 Broad-wings showing up on October 11th at 5:55PM, which was quite l=
ate in the day, as well as the year for this species. Non-raptor migrants w=
ere also in short supply this month. However, we did have some interesting =
non-raptor visiters drop in (i.e. Northern Shrike). We also enjoyed numerou=
s close sightings of raptors despite the low counts.<br>

November<br>
Only 12.5 hours of observation were logged this month, still we did count s=
ome birds. This year&#39;s biggest flights of Red-tailed Hawks occurred on =
the third and fourth of the month. However, counts were not impressive in a=
ny way. We recorded a single Red-shouldered Hawk, a couple of Goshawks and =
a few other species. The last migrant of the year was a lone Turkey Vulture=
.<br>

As has been the case in previous years, the trails leading to the site prod=
uced some birds of interest. A Blue-winged Warbler was likely the most exci=
ting.<br>
Analysis of Flight Trends<br>
Yearly flights are strongly influenced by weather. The number of birds coun=
ted in migration can directly reflect the weather&#39;s affect on breeding =
success as well as its affect on daily flights or both. Unfavourable wind c=
onditions occurring during migration can cause raptors to move over more of=
 a broad front. When this occurs, a smaller portion of the population will =
likely be counted. Deviation from &#39;normal&#39; weather during the breed=
ing season can strongly affect reproductive success and the number of immat=
ure birds counted during migration. These results can be favourable or adve=
rse. Human influences can also impact flight trends. Typically, these trend=
s can only be detected through long-term monitoring.<br>

Some of this year&#39;s numbers almost certainly show the effects of relati=
vely poor weather during this year&#39;s breeding season. A general lack of=
 favourable winds occurred during the first half of October. That likely co=
mbined with the effects of poor breeding success, producing the low number =
of hawks counted during the month of October.<br>

Importance of Greenlaw Mountain Hawk Watch Data<br>
Raptor populations can be negatively impacted by forestry practises, pestic=
ide use, the placement of structures in migration routes and other human ac=
tivities. The data collected through this project contributes important inf=
ormation about raptor populations, their migration routes and the timing of=
 migration. These efforts support the identification of species in decline =
and inform recovery efforts.<br>

Greenlaw Mountain is the northeastern most hawk watch site in North America=
. The majority of &#39;our&#39; hawks are likely just starting their journe=
y. The majority of hawk watches, however, observe hawks that have been trav=
eling for days, weeks or even months. We might be the most strategically pl=
aced to observe hawks early in migration.<br>

Personal Notes<br>
It is a privilege to be able to conduct this project and I am thrilled that=
 we are generating so much knowledge of regional hawk migration and raptor =
populations. It is my intention to do all that I can to keep the project go=
ing and to further develop our regional understanding of and appreciation f=
or birds of prey. Continuing to build our database will show important tren=
ds in raptor populations and their movements. The project is still very you=
ng and much more work needs to be done.<br>

We have five years worth of data behind us, yet I often feel like we are re=
ally just getting started. The flights documented in these first years real=
ly only represent base data. In my opinion, we are just starting to underst=
and hawk migration along this part of the bay.<br>

Counting hawks on the mountain is a constant learning experience and I feel=
 as though we learned more this year than any year except our first. Broad-=
wings were documented this year in numbers similar to the &#39;big flights&=
#39; of 2011. When those big flights were first recorded, we did not know i=
f they were a twenty-year event or something rather common. Evidence is sta=
rting to suggest that it might be more of the later. The late-day, as well =
as, late-in-the season flights of Broad-winged Hawks documented this year a=
re also providing great opportunities for learning. Seeing large flocks of =
Broad-wings moving very late in the day suggests to me that we might need t=
o extend our observation periods during peak season. Some of these birds re=
mained at high altitudes much later in the day than I expected. Another thi=
ng to watch is the reoccurrence of late in the season flights (Late-Septemb=
er/early October for Broad-wings). They are starting to suggest the presenc=
e of birds from Nova Scotia. The &#39;unusual&#39; flights of hawks this Oc=
tober are also great learning opportunities. All of these things demonstrat=
e how much learning potential there is or perhaps more to the point, how li=
ttle we know.<br>

This project is supported by the New Brunswick Wildlife Trust Fund. Additio=
nal support comes from individual supporters and our volunteers.<br>
Thanks and Recognition<br>
Special thanks go out to all of the volunteers. They often leave the hawk w=
atch thanking the official counter for the experience, but the greatest tha=
nks goes to them. Their help is critical to our success. No one person, no =
matter how skilled and dedicated, can possibly see and identify all of the =
hawks. Thanks also to the hawk watch committee members. They have volunteer=
ed many hours to the administration of this project. Hank Scarth chairs the=
 committee and has been instrumental in our success. Additional thanks goes=
 to the property owners and our supporters. We couldn&#39;t do this without=
 you!<br>

Conclusion<br>
We are seeking feedback on this project. Please let us know your thoughts o=
n the daily reports, flight forecasts, your experiences at the hawk watch o=
r any other aspect of the project. We also welcome letters of support, as t=
hey help us in our pursuit of funding. Our mission is far from complete. We=
 are just starting to get a handle on hawk migration through New Brunswick.=

We hope to see everyone again next year!<br>
Species Accounts<br>
Turkey Vulture<br>
Earliest Observation*: August 25<br>
Latest Observation: November 4<br>
Single Day High Count: 22 (October 6)<br>
Peak**: Early October<br>
Season Total: 173<br>
This year&#39;s counts were down from last, but still show a clear upward t=
rend.<br>
Osprey<br>
Earliest Observation: August 23<br>
Latest Observation: October 12<br>
Single Day High Count: 14 (August 23)<br>
Peak: Early September<br>
Season Total: 166<br>
This species appears to have moved earlier in the season than previous year=
s. The total number of individuals counted was slightly above our previous =
average.<br>
Bald Eagle<br>
Earliest Observation: August 23<br>
Latest Observation: November 4<br>
Single Day High Count: 9 (September 15)<br>
Peak: No clear peak period was observed for this season.<br>
Season Total: 41<br>
This year&#39;s counts were our lowest ever recorded for this species.<br>
Golden Eagle<br>
No records this season.<br>
Northern Harrier<br>
Earliest Observation: August 24<br>
Latest Observation: November 4<br>
Single Day High Count: 7 (October 12)<br>
Peak: September/October<br>
Season Total: 52<br>
This year&#39;s counts were below average, likely a predictable outcome of =
a very wet breeding season for this ground nester.<br>
Sharp-shinned Hawk<br>
Earliest Observation: August 23<br>
Latest Observation: November 4<br>
Single Day High Count: 49 (September 19)<br>
Peak: September<br>
Season Total: 520<br>
Our lowest count ever for this species and well below our average of 676. T=
his species might have also moved early(as well as in low numbers).<br>
Cooper&#39;s Hawk<br>
Earliest Observation: September 14<br>
Latest Observation: October 19<br>
Single Day High: 3 (September 19)<br>
Peak: No clear peak.<br>
Season Total: 9<br>
This year&#39;s counts were our lowest ever.<br>
Northern Goshawk<br>
Earliest Observation: September 28<br>
Latest Observation: November 7<br>
Single Day High Count: 3 (October 21)<br>
Peak: October<br>
Season Total: 15<br>
A slightly higher than average number.<br>
Red-shouldered Hawk<br>
Earliest Observation: September 9<br>
Latest Observation: November 4<br>
Single Day High Count: 1<br>
Peak: Late Season is typical for this species. However, our numbers are not=
 adequate to represent a peak.<br>
Season Total: 3<br>
This year&#39;s counts were our lowest ever for this species..<br>
Broad-winged Hawk<br>
Earliest Observation: August 23<br>
Latest Observation: October 21 (quite late)<br>
Single Day High Count: 1885 (September 17)<br>
Peak: Mid-September<br>
Season Total: 5405<br>
Very good numbers for this species. This years total is similar to the prev=
ious season high count set in 2011. Future counts could show that this is a=
 fairly typical number. Some of the late movements of this species at our s=
ite are very interesting. Much more study is needed.<br>

Red-tailed Hawk<br>
Earliest Observation: August 24<br>
Latest Observation: November 4<br>
Single Day High Count: 23 (November 4)<br>
Peak: Early November<br>
Season Total: 132<br>
Our lowest season total for this species. Prior to this season, our average=
 was 237.<br>
Rough-legged Hawk<br>
This raptor has yet to be counted during the fall season. Several have been=
 observed moving past our site during spring migration.<br>
American Kestrel<br>
Earliest Observation: August 23<br>
Latest Observation: October 27<br>
Single Day High Count: 37 (September 27)***<br>
Peak: Mid-September to early October<br>
Season Total: 200***<br>
Our highest season count beating the prior record by one.<br>
Merlin<br>
Earliest Observation: August 30<br>
Latest Observation: October 23<br>
Single Day High Count: 12 (September 27)***<br>
Peak: Early through mid- October<br>
Season Total: 42<br>
A fairly average count.<br>
Peregrine Falcon<br>
Earliest Observation: August 23<br>
Latest Observation: October 23<br>
Single Day High Count: 2 (September 17)<br>
Peak: September/October<br>
Season Total: 12<br>
Our lowest recorded season total. 21 was our previous average.<br>
Unidentified Accipiter<br>
Season Total: 0<br>
Unidentified Buteo<br>
Season Total: 0<br>
Unidentified Falcon<br>
Season Total: 4<br>
Unidentified Eagle<br>
Season Total: 1<br>
Unidentified Raptor<br>
Season Total: 66<br>
Combined Season Total For Migrating Raptors: 6841<br>
* Earliest and latest observations refer only to hawks counted as migrants.=
** Peaks for each species listed above are for this year. Peaks can vary fr=
om one year to the next.<br>
*** Denotes a record count.<br>
Todd Watts<br>
Project Co-ordinator and Official Counter<br>
Greenlaw Mountain Hawk Watch<br>
Saint John Naturalists&#39; Club<br>
fishbird@xplornet.ca<br>
506 529-4656<br>
NatureNB guidelines =A0<a href=3D"http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbe.html=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbe.html</a><br>
Foire aux questions de NatureNB =A0<a href=3D"http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/marys=
pt/nnbf.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbf.html</=
a><br>
"ltr">James Churchill<br>Kentville, Nova Scotia<br><a href=3D"mailto:jamesl=
churchill@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jameslchurchill@gmail.com</a><br>(90=
2) 681-2374<br>

--001a11c2e60aa2aceb04eb905644--