[NatureNS] explanation of tree rot

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 07:03:37 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I am having this large decaying Red Maple taken down at the camp.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/11187219615/

The star-like rot pattern in the piled upper overhanging limbs is intriguing.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/11187219945/

I am guessing a fungus penetrates from an outside wound (i.e. dead branch) and spreads to the centre. Then makes further wedges outwards towards other parts of the trunk. Or maybe all the points are from separate wounds that lead in to the heartwood? Could a tree person explain how such a pattern of decay occurs?

Thanks, Nancy