[NatureNS] explanation of tree rot

Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 07:52:11 -0400
From: David Patriquin <patriqui@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Cc: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I would say this is classic Top Rot, a type of Heart Rot; the arms of
the stars are where the lignified core extended into branches.

See http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/pp318/profiles_mirror/decay/decay.htm

For an explanation of the dark colour, see

See http://www.forestpathology.org/decay.html - it is due to removal
of cellulose by the fungi, leaving a core of oxididized lignin's; the
living sapwood is resistant, so decay takes place at the heart.

Quoting nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>:

> I am having this large decaying Red Maple taken down at the camp.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/11187219615/
>
> The star-like rot pattern in the piled upper overhanging limbs is intriguing.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/11187219945/
>
> I am guessing a fungus penetrates from an outside wound (i.e. dead
> branch) and spreads to the centre. Then makes further wedges
> outwards towards other parts of the trunk. Or maybe all the points
> are from separate wounds that lead in to the heartwood? Could a tree
> person explain how such a pattern of decay occurs?
>
> Thanks, Nancy

David Patriquin
http://versicolor.ca