[NatureNS] Leave those old snags up!

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:56:06 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_998C_01CEF122.7CCCED30

Hi All,                                Dec 4, 2013
    I sense some politically correct ideas floating to the surface in =
these recent e-mails so I wish to interject some biologically correct =
ideas.

    Snags sometimes can be good centers of biodiversity; no question. =
They sometimes can be, after bark is shed, quite barren of activity =
including fungal growth, until they fall and gain earth contact.=20

    Pileated, although they sometimes will work a dead snag or a fallen =
rotten birch they mostly feed on ants in live softwood trees (Hemlock, =
Fir, Spruce) and something (probably ants) near the tops of Poplar. =
Usually when I prune branches from Hardwood trees in the yard I leave =
stubs 2-8' long. Downy & Hairy feed on these as they age but I have yet =
to see a Pileated there. But just a few feet away I usually see a =
Pileated every year or so on the live Crack-Willow (arthropods in bark =
crevices ?) and when the Five-fingered Ivy fruits, feeding upside down =
on these vines which have climbed a Black Cherry. Pileated also like =
Dogwood fruit and I watched one strip a shrub, upside down again, while =
I ate lunch.=20

    And one of the best ways to provide growth & feeding opportunities =
in live, dying and dead trees into the future is to burn more wood and =
less petrochemical fuels. Except for the carbon cost of cutting and =
hauling wood, the burning of wood is carbon neutral, in spite of =
short-sighted foolishness to the contrary. On the other hand all of the =
carbon in petrochemicals is new to the atmosphere and by the time they =
arrive in your dooryard  already have a large carbon burden; =
exploration, extraction & transportation.

    The wood should of course be cut selectively, with an eye to giving =
healthy long-lived trees adequate room and encouraging a wide diversity =
of tree and shrub species. But burning wood cut in any way is a step in =
the right direction.=20

Yt DW
"To save the forest you must burn trees" DW 2013
  ----- Original Message -----=20