[NatureNS] Leave those old snags up!

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 21:52:51 -0400

bsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nb
Hi Fred,                                Dec 4, 2013
    Yes I haul >half of our ash back to the woods (some gets scattered on
the lawn/driveway to melt snow/feed grass/trees). I have been spreading ash
now for 31 years, usually the year's supply in portions of various
apparently impoverished areas but have yet to see any obvious responses. My
soil is a loam so, where there is reasonable depth, it is capable of storing
a good stock of mineral nutrients. Of course if growth/vigor is limited by
poor drainage or shallow bedrock then ash application would have no effect.

    A drafty outhouse stocked usually with an old Eaton's catalogue and
cleaned yearly was standard practice at home until I went to college. And at
School until I went to High School, except there one had to take a sheet of
note paper when applicable. It is likely the most environmentally friendly
way to deal with human waste but is not a human friendly way to void waste,
especially in cold, windy weather.

    So I don't find the outhouse approach attractive and Kentville probably
has a bylaw against it, but If people were not so silly and if necessary
precautions were taken to exclude pollutants and avoid contamination of
waterways then woodland would by an obvious target for disposal of so called
biosolids.

    Biology is made possible by conservation and recycling of mineral
nutrients. It is absolute folly for humans to imagine that it is not only OK
to break the cycle but necessary for yada, yada, yada reasons. Alas--- you
can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Yt, DW