[NatureNS] Leave those old snags up!

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 22:22:34 -0500
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,

Quoting David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>:

>    Yes I haul >half of our ash back to the woods (some gets
> scattered on the lawn/driveway to melt snow/feed grass/trees). I
> have been spreading ash now for 31 years, usually the year's supply
> in portions of various apparently impoverished areas but have yet to
> see any obvious responses. My soil is a loam so, where there is
> reasonable depth, it is capable of storing a good stock of mineral
> nutrients. Of course if growth/vigor is limited by poor drainage or
> shallow bedrock then ash application would have no effect.

* maybe you're not seeing enhanced growth because you're just keeping
up with the nutrients removed in the firewood.

Here's an account of Pieter Trip's fertilization of his woods -
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/2012/02/beneath-hemlocks-oil-on-canvas-5-x-7-in.html - he gets the full benefit from the applied fertilizer because he doesn't remove firewood, and doesn't seem to understand why some of us need/choose
to.

He has written a book about his work with his forest -
http://www.lulu.com/ca/en/shop/pieter-trip/growing-great-trees-a-practical-guide-to-growing-big-healthy-trees/paperback/product-5724181.html

fred.