[NatureNS] How scientists refer to Fruit Flies

Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 22:44:27 -0500
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,

Quoting David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>:

>    I was unaware of this instance of splitting but in general it
> would save much confusion and annoyance if taxonomists could be
> persuaded, when splitting, to consider the fragments to be
> Subgenera, Sections, Subsections etc and leave well established
> Genera alone.

* the problem here is that some of the fragments of equivalent
phlyletic rank were already considered genera, so lumping the whole
group into Drosophila would have sunk some genera to the rank of
subgenera, and changed the name of their species, doubtless with
numerous cases of ensuing homonymy.

fred.

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad