[NatureNS] Need advice from an amphibian expert

Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 22:30:32 -0400
From: V Redden <reddenville@nncweb.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------030102070700000800090206

HI
I have found salamanders crawling across the ice in my yard almost every
winter. I take them to the nearest log and dig under the snow  , set
them down and away they go. No idea if they survive  but they crawl into
the hole on their own.  I have a very woody yard so a fallen log is
usually close by. Also the ones I find are usually the blue spotted. So
pretty but in the winter very dark skinned.
Virginia Redden
Port Howe

A spark burns down the forest - Ovambo Namibia

Fred Schueler wrote:
> On 12/24/2013 11:07 AM, Bob Haimes wrote:
>> I need advice from an amphibian expert. I went out to my car this
>> morning and much
>> to my surprise there was a salamander (Black with yellow spots) walking
>> across my
>> iced over driveway. Am looking for advice on what is best to get him
>> through the
>> winter. Either where to release or someone who can house it until
>> spring. Willing
>> to set up something in my home if I knew what to do.
>> Willing to give phone number to anyone who can help.
>
> * I think the best thing to do would be to put it in a gallon jar with
> some forest leaf litter and leafmould, and keep it in the fridge,
> allowing some air cirulation through screening or holes in the lid,
> but being very careful that it stays moist - with a mm of liquid water
> at the bottom of the jar. Then release it in the spring, as soon as
> the snow is gone, under a log in the woods nearest to where you found
> it. It's a Yellow-spotted Salamander, Ambystoma maculatum.
>
> fred.
>          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
> Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
> Daily Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
>          RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
>   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
>    (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca/
> The 2014 Bishops Mills Calendar Festival:
> Fred:
> http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/2013/12/the-fred-calendar-for-2014.html
> - data input
> Aleta: http://www.lulu.com/content/14204755 - paintings
> Jennifer:
> http://www.zazzle.com/free_range_wall_calendar-158319768903951661  -
> free ranging livestock
> Rory: [watch this space for the revolutionary calendar]

--------------030102070700000800090206

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
I have found salamanders crawling across the ice in my yard almost
every winter. I take them to the nearest log and dig under the snow&nbsp; ,
set them down and away they go. No idea if they survive&nbsp; but they crawl
into the hole on their own.&nbsp; I have a very woody yard so a fallen log
is usually close by. Also the ones I find are usually the blue spotted.
So pretty but in the winter very dark skinned.<br>
Virginia Redden<br>
Port Howe<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="100">A spark burns down the forest - Ovambo Namibia</pre>
Fred Schueler wrote:
[...]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Frederick W. Schueler &amp; Aleta Karstad
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
&nbsp; on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
&nbsp;&nbsp; (613)258-3107 &lt;bckcdb at istar.ca&gt; http://pinicola.ca/
http://www.zazzle.com/free_range_wall_calendar-158319768903951661&nbsp; -