[NatureNS] Need advice from an amphibian expert

Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 22:47:33 -0500
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  &lt;br&g
Quoting V Redden <reddenville@nncweb.ca>:

> I have found salamanders crawling across the ice in my yard almost
> every winter. I take them to the nearest log and dig under the snow
> , set them down and away they go. No idea if they survive  but they
> crawl into the hole on their own.  I have a very woody yard so a
> fallen log is usually close by.

* this is probably okay if there's enough snow that the soil won't
freeze, or, and here's the chance, won't freeze before the Salamander
finds a refuge below frost. I'd add to my previous advice that a
fridge where an Amphibian is kept over the winter should be around
2-3C to minimize the metabolic reserves burned up over the winter.

fred.