[NatureNS] Update Re: 2 Peregrine Falcons in Halifax

Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 17:29:00 -0400
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_5387312==.ALT

         I tried to find the Peregrines four times on the day of the
Halifax-Dartmouth CBC (21 Dec.), without success.  Decidedly
chagrinned.  I stopped by on Saturday (28th), in between errands, and
easily found one bird on the roof of the Manulife Building.  The best
places to stop for a view of the south side of the building are the
parking lots of the churches at the Rotary (Bethany United on the
east side, St. James Anglican  on the west side).  However on
Saturday, after not seeing one from that vantage point, I drove up
Joseph Howe Drive and turned east on Lexington Avenue, and parked on
Melton, looking back downhill toward the north side of the
building.  I had a great view of the bird while it preened.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 04:50 PM 15/12/2013, P.L. Chalmers wrote:
>Thanks to Robert Walsh for the original report, and to Suzanne for
>the update.  This location is within my Halifax-Dartmouth CBC route,
>and I will certainly be looking for the Pregrine Falcons next
>Sunday!  There are normally a pair of Common Ravens hanging around
>that building; I wonder what they think of the newcomers?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Patricia L. Chalmers
>Halifax.
>
>At 05:22 PM 14/12/2013, Suzanne Borkowski wrote:
>>
>>Hi Everyone;
>>
>>There were 2 Peregrines today on the Manulife sign on the tall
>>black Manulife building on what used to be called Dutch Village
>>Road - now Joseph Howe Drive, just up from the rotary.  One was an
>>adult and the other was a dark juvenile.  They were perched on
>>either side of the "logo" sign immediately to the left of the "M".
>>
>>There's a parking lot in front of a white church right at the
>>rotary.  It's a good place to pull off and set up your scope or use
>>your binoculars.  The birds are perched so high that the closer you
>>get to them, the harder they are to see!
>>
>>Happy Holidays;
>>
>>Suzanne

--=====================_5387312==.ALT

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I tried to find
the Peregrines four times on the day of the Halifax-Dartmouth CBC (21
Dec.), without success.&nbsp; Decidedly chagrinned.&nbsp; I stopped by on
Saturday (28th), in between errands, and easily found one bird on the
roof of the Manulife Building.&nbsp; The best places to stop for a view
of the south side of the building are the parking lots of the churches at
the Rotary (Bethany United on the east side, St. James Anglican&nbsp; on
the west side).&nbsp; However on Saturday, after not seeing one from that
vantage point, I drove up Joseph Howe Drive and turned east on Lexington
Avenue, and parked on Melton, looking back downhill toward the north side
of the building.&nbsp; I had a great view of the bird while it
preened.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 04:50 PM 15/12/2013, P.L. Chalmers wrote:<br>
original report, and to Suzanne for the update.&nbsp; This location is
within my Halifax-Dartmouth CBC route, and I will certainly be looking
for the Pregrine Falcons next Sunday!&nbsp; There are normally a pair of
Common Ravens hanging around that building; I wonder what they think of
the newcomers?<br><br>
Cheers,<br><br>
Patricia L. Chalmers<br>
Halifax.<br><br>
At 05:22 PM 14/12/2013, Suzanne Borkowski wrote:<br>
Hi Everyone;<br><br>
There were 2 Peregrines today on the Manulife sign on the tall black
Manulife building on what used to be called Dutch Village Road - now
Joseph Howe Drive, just up from the rotary.&nbsp; One was an adult and
the other was a dark juvenile.&nbsp; They were perched on either side of
the &quot;logo&quot; sign immediately to the left of the
&quot;M&quot;.<br><br>
There's a parking lot in front of a white church right at the
rotary.&nbsp; It's a good place to pull off and set up your scope or use
your binoculars.&nbsp; The birds are perched so high that the closer you
get to them, the harder they are to see!<br><br>
Happy Holidays;<br><br>