[NatureNS] Sewer Stroll 1

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 21:48:43 -0400
From: Doug Linzey <doug@fundymud.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------030705080608020909090303

Hi Dennis,

I'm curious to know what difference a functioning sewage treatment plant
has made to the sewer strolls (compared to pre-plant days). Are there
significantly fewer birds, or have they adapted to a less-rich environment?

Thanks
Doug Linzey

On 13/01/2014 8:18 PM, Dennis wrote:
> Hello All,
>     Despite an unfavorable weather forecast, Sunday, Jan 11, about 40
> intrepid birders
> gathered at McCormacks Beach in Eastern Passage at 09:00, for "Sewer
> Stroll 1" sponsored by
> Halifax Field Naturalists and The Nova Scotia Bird Society.
>     After scanning this area we proceeded south along the harbour to
> Hartlen Pt.,stopping
>  at a look-off along the way. From there, we retraced our route
> stopping at the Shearwater
> sewage outfall before checking out Dartmouth Cove and Sullivans Pond.
> It had started to
> drizzle by this point. We tried one more stop at Tufts Cove and ended
> the trip here at about 13:00
> as the weather had deteriorated causing fogged views, glasses, scopes
> and binos.
>    I feel fortunate to have accomplished this much of the trip that
> would have also covered Bedford
> and Halifax warerfronts, Pt. Pleasant Park and Herring Cove if the
> weather had allowed. Such are
> the hazards of winter birding in N.S.
>    We saw some great birds and from the verbal and e-mail comments I
> have received, the eager
> participants were well satisfied with the results. Some of the
> highlight birds we saw.......
> *McCormacks Beach* - Bald Eagle (imm), Glaucous, Iceland Gulls, Black
> Guillemot, White-Crowned
> sparrow.
> *Look-off *- Wight-winged and black Scoters.
> *Hartlen Pt* - Bald Eagle (adult), Snowy Owl, Rought-legged Hawk,
> Horned Lark, Barrows goldeneye.
> *Shearwater -* Tufted Duck.
> *Sillivans Pond* - Eurasian Widgeon, Glaucous, Black-headed, Lesser
> Blacked (2 Imm) Gulls, Cardinal.
> *Other birds seen -* American Widgeon, Black Duck, Mallard, Greater
> and Lesser Scaup, Common
> Eider, Long-tailed Duck, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Red-brested
> Merganser, Ring-necked
> pheasant, Ring-billed, Herring Gulls, Blue Jay, Crow, Raven,Robin,
> Starling, Song Sparrow.
>     These are the birds that I saw myself or heard others say that
> they saw.  If anyone on the stroll saw
> any other birds not included above, please let me  know so that I and
> add to the official list
> that I will send to N.S.B.S & H.F.N.
>      Thanks are due to the more experienced birders who shared their
> knowledge with those less
> knowledgeable. Several new birders told me how much they appreciated this.
> My thanks to all who attended,
> Dennis Hippern
> Cole Harbour

--------------030705080608020909090303

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      I'm curious to know what difference a functioning sewage treatment
      plant has made to the sewer strolls (compared to pre-plant days).
      Are there significantly fewer birds, or have they adapted to a
      less-rich environment?<br>
      Thanks<br>
      Doug Linzey<br>
      On 13/01/2014 8:18 PM, Dennis wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt;
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style>
          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Despite an unfavorable weather forecast, Sunday, Jan 11,
          about 40 intrepid birders<br>
          gathered at McCormacks Beach in Eastern Passage at 09:00, for
          "Sewer Stroll 1" sponsored by<br>
          Halifax Field Naturalists and The Nova Scotia Bird Society.<br>
          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; After scanning this area we proceeded south along the
          harbour to Hartlen Pt.,stopping<br>
          &nbsp;at a look-off along the way. From there, we retraced our
          route stopping at the Shearwater<br>
          sewage outfall before checking out Dartmouth Cove and
          Sullivans Pond. It had started to <br>
          drizzle by this point. We tried one more stop at Tufts Cove
          and ended the trip here at about 13:00<br>
          as the weather had deteriorated causing fogged views, glasses,
          scopes and binos.<br>
          &nbsp;&nbsp; I feel fortunate to have accomplished this much of the trip
          that would have also covered Bedford<br>
          and Halifax warerfronts, Pt. Pleasant Park and Herring Cove if
          the weather had allowed. Such are<br>
          the hazards of winter birding in N.S.<br>
          &nbsp;&nbsp; We saw some great birds and from the verbal and e-mail
          comments I have received, the eager<br>
          participants were well satisfied with the results. Some of the
          highlight birds we saw.......<br>
          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<b> McCormacks Beach</b> - Bald Eagle (imm), Glaucous,
          Iceland Gulls, Black Guillemot, White-Crowned<br>
          sparrow.<br>
          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <b>Hartlen Pt</b> - Bald Eagle (adult), Snowy Owl,
          Rought-legged Hawk, Horned Lark, Barrows goldeneye.<br>
          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <b>Sillivans Pond</b> - Eurasian Widgeon, Glaucous,
          Black-headed, Lesser Blacked (2 Imm) Gulls, Cardinal.<br>
          <b>Other birds seen -</b> American Widgeon, Black Duck,
          Mallard, Greater and Lesser Scaup, Common<br>
          Eider, Long-tailed Duck, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye,
          Red-brested Merganser, Ring-necked <br>
          pheasant, Ring-billed, Herring Gulls, Blue Jay, Crow,
          Raven,Robin, Starling, Song Sparrow.<br>
          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; These are the birds that I saw myself or heard others say
          that they saw.&nbsp; If