[NatureNS] Mystery Bird

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 22:14:01 +0000

--_e81321f5-8799-4ad9-8442-e1d1c8502226_

Hi all:
=20
I had one of those puzzling bird encounters that we all run into every now =
and then.  I was driving along the back way into Lunenburg and just before =
the turn off to Corkum's Island a bird came across the road in front of my =
car like a bullet=2C going about one foot above the ground.  It flew over t=
he lawn of the house next to me at a rapid pace and it looked like it went =
into a tree on the lawn=2C but I could not locate it so apparently it kept =
going.  Whatever it was the starling flock took flight as did two mallards =
along the two nearby properties right after I saw the bird.  At least I'm a=
ssuming that's what put them up or it could have been co-incidence.  Anyhow=
=2C the description of the bird is going to sound odd.  My perspective was =
not optimal and the look was brief.  This bird was elongated with short win=
gs=2C so very streamlined and thin.  It was a tawny brown color and flew li=
ke a bullet or projectile.  I distinctly got the impression of a cross betw=
een a kingfisher maybe or a woodpecker.  It reminded me of a torpedo slidin=
g through the air.  It definitely was not a kingfisher=2C nor do I believe =
it was a woodpecker.  It was kingfisher size though. =20
=20
I'm thinking maybe the juvenile shrike that had been in the area=2C as a po=
ssibility=2C but I've never seen a shrike move or look like the bird that I=
 saw.  It definitely did not move like the juvenile northern shrike that we=
 had on the Shelburne Christmas Bird Count.  I know the description is not =
great but any comments or ideas would be appreciated. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
=20
=20
=20
 		 	   		  =

--_e81321f5-8799-4ad9-8442-e1d1c8502226_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
BR>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">I had one of those puzzling bird encounters=
 that we all run into every now and then.&nbsp=3B I was driving along the b=
ack way into Lunenburg and just before the turn off to Corkum's Island a bi=
rd came across the road in front of my car like a bullet=2C going about one=
 foot above the ground.&nbsp=3B It flew over the lawn of the house next to =
me at a rapid pace and it looked like it went into a tree on the lawn=2C bu=
t I could not locate it&nbsp=3Bso apparently it kept going.&nbsp=3B Whateve=
r it was the starling flock took flight as did two mallards along the&nbsp=
=3Btwo nearby properties right after I saw the bird.&nbsp=3B At least I'm a=
ssuming that's what put them up or it could have been co-incidence.&nbsp=3B=
 Anyhow=2C the description of the bird is going to sound odd.&nbsp=3B My pe=
rspective was not optimal&nbsp=3Band the look was brief.&nbsp=3B This bird =
was elongated with short wings=2C so very streamlined and thin.&nbsp=3B It =
was a tawny brown color and flew like a bullet or projectile.&nbsp=3B I dis=
tinctly got the impression of a cross between a kingfisher maybe or a woodp=
ecker.&nbsp=3B It reminded me of a torpedo sliding through the air.&nbsp=3B=
 It definitely was not a kingfisher=2C nor do I believe it was a woodpecker=
.&nbsp=3B It was kingfisher size though.&nbsp=3B </font><BR><font size=3D"6=
"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">I'm thinking maybe the juvenile shrik=
e that had been in the area=2C as a possibility=2C but I've never seen a sh=
rike move or look like the bird that I saw.&nbsp=3B It definitely did not m=
ove like the juvenile northern shrike that we had on the Shelburne Christma=
s Bird Count.&nbsp=3B I know the description is not great but any comments =
or ideas would be appreciated.&nbsp=3B </font><BR><font size=3D"6"></font>&=
nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">James R. Hirtle</font><BR><font size=3D"6">Brid=
gewater</font><BR><font size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6"></fo=

--_e81321f5-8799-4ad9-8442-e1d1c8502226_--