[NatureNS] Graves Island

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:33:56 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c3cd9ed0366404f27985c0

Hi,

3 of us from the Valley were in that area too today, although we didn't
visit Graves Island itself, as most of the trees there have been cut down.
We visited Chester, and kept trying for the R-B Woodpecker there, but in
vain. We also checked the coastline along the adjacent Blandford Peninsula.
That's where all the grebes were - Horned Grebes all over the place,
including 1 flock of 17 together. There were  sea-ducks, especially
Long-tailed, and Common loons all over the place too. Highlights, though,
were a Dovekie and 2 Razorbills off Upper Blandford Road. We looked and
listened in many places for Boreal Chickadees but couldn't find any. But I
agree it was a beautiful day in between storms, and the ocean air is good
for the soul!

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--001a11c3cd9ed0366404f27985c0

 that area too today, although we didn&#39;t visit Graves Island itself, as=
 most of the trees there have been cut down. We visited Chester, and kept t=
rying for the R-B Woodpecker there, but in vain. We also checked the coastl=
ine along the adjacent Blandford Peninsula. That&#39;s where all the grebes=
 were - Horned Grebes all over the place, including 1 flock of 17 together.=
 There were=A0 sea-ducks, especially Long-tailed, and Common loons all over=
 the place too. Highlights, though, were a Dovekie and 2 Razorbills off Upp=
er Blandford Road. We looked and listened in many places for Boreal Chickad=
ees but couldn&#39;t find any. But I agree it was a beautiful day in betwee=
n storms, and the ocean air is good for the soul!<br>

_quote">On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Paul MacDonald <span dir=3D"ltr">&=
lt;<a href=3D"mailto:paulrita2001@yahoo.com" target=3D"_blank">paulrita2001=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-famil=
y:HelveticaNeue,Helvetica Neue,Helvetica,Arial,Lucida Grande,sans-serif"><d=
iv>

s such a nice afternoon, I went</div><div>to Graves Island for a walk. Litt=
le snow there and</div>

lack Ducks at the bridge, maybe</div><div>50 in all with a dozen or so Mall=
ards
 mixed in. One of the Blacks</div><div>had a band. Really worn, looked like=
 a US F&amp;W job to read that</div><div>but he didn&#39;t offer to let me =
have the band.</div><div>A little farther along the shore was a piece of a =
Ground Fish net.</div>

v>into cat snarles. There was a couple of nice yellow bouys on it</div><div=
>and an anchor. The old fashioned type.=A0 A piece of metal piper</div><div=

with pieces of rebar welded on for grapples. What made it interesting</div>=
>would be the word.</div><div>Sea Ducks seem to have left for the cold weat=
her. There is no ice</div>

s</div><div>Only 3 grebe but 6 Loons were still here with a few Red breaste=
d Mergansers. I don&#39;t know where the Grebes go but they will be back</d=
iv>

Port Williams, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" targ=
et=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>

--001a11c3cd9ed0366404f27985c0--