[NatureNS] Otters

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:32:21 -0400
From: Bruce Stevens <m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

n there is limite
--001a1133a1c0a1159f04f355f0cd

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think every time we want to focus on
seeing a certain species there's a veritable mountain of information to
digest. I've had three sightings this winter. The first was in Lawrencetown
Lake, and was completely by chance. That otter was seen in the afternoon
from the PP parking lot alternating gallop/slide across the ice. The second
was near Bissett Lake (swimming, midday). The third was today in the West
Marsh, so it seems we're hunting in the same area(s). I have managed photos
all three times, but they leave a lot to be desired.

I'll definitely keep you in the loop of any sightings/revelations.

Bruce Stevens
Dartmouth, NS

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Paul Evans <pauldanielevans@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> blinds a lot. They instead focus on working a shoreline during feeding and
> resting activity. The essential element is being downwind. What they would
> do is work across a headland to get a view of a long stretch of upwind
> shoreline, try to spot an Otter that is moving towards you, move into
> position while they are underwater, and let them come to you. Where to go,
> and what direction to approach is entirely dictated by wind direction.
> Photographing Otters, even in an area of high population is an exercise of
> patience, persistence and frustration.
>
> With that said -- I've had almost no success locally. I try to keep my eye
> open for Otters in the area I frequent for birding and photography (the
> near Eastern Shore ... Lawrencetown through Grand Desert). Periodically I
> will see an Otter in the Lawrencetown Lake and West Lawrencetown Marsh
> area. I've seen none of the territorial markings and burrows that I saw in
> the Shetlands -- presumably due to a lower population density (and lack of
> skill on my part). When I have seen Otters, it has been mostly in open
> areas, especially in the winter when things are frozen up. I've thought the
> best photographic opportunity would be during a fairly deep freeze when
> there is limited open water. The best sighting of an Otter I had this year
> was near Conrad's beach where an Otter was actively feeding on crabs at a
> small opening of water for about 30 minutes. Of course, the camera was at
> home.
>
> A local acquaintance says that during spring there is a small lake and set
> of streams, where he regularly see an Otter. He is an experience nature
> watcher and has promised to let me know if that Otter turns up this year.
>
> If you have found an Otter that is frequenting a specific area, then a
> blind may be a good approach. But as Darrell suggests, they probably cover
> a large area and it may be a long wait. Canoeing/kayaking may be a great
> way to go.
>
> I'd love to hear how things go.
>
> Good luck!
>
> If anyone else has knowledge of local Otter behaviour it would be great to
> hear.
>
> Paul Evans
>
> From: Bruce Stevens <m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com>
> Date: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM
> To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
> Subject: [NatureNS] Otters
>
> Hi All,
>
> I've recently been trying to photograph otters at several different
> locations in HRM, and so far I've only had marginal luck. I'm hoping some
> knowledgeable folks on here can offer some advice to tip the odds in my
> favour a bit.
>
> My current effort involves erecting a portable blind at a site I've found
> where one clearly comes ashore frequently as evidenced by scat. Are they
> most active at dawn and dusk in late winter? My reading suggests they
> become more nocturnal as we move into spring.

 I think every time we want to focus on seeing a certain species there&#39;=
s a veritable mountain of information to digest. I&#39;ve had three sightin=
gs this winter. The first was in Lawrencetown Lake, and was completely by c=
hance. That otter was seen in the afternoon from the PP parking lot alterna=
ting gallop/slide across the ice. The second was near Bissett Lake (swimmin=
g, midday). The third was today in the West Marsh, so it seems we&#39;re hu=
nting in the same area(s). I have managed photos all three times, but they =
leave a lot to be desired.</div>
gs/revelations.</div>
ans <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pauldanielevans@gmail.com" targ=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc sol=
id;padding-left:1ex">