[NatureNS] Otters

From: Nancy P Dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:46:59 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

h an experienced local photographer and guide. He had a great deal

--Apple-Mail-820D141C-CAB5-4BF0-B935-FD92E038616D

Some features to look for that may lead to Otter sightings:

Keep an eye out for Otter tracks as you wander along the HRM beaches. At Gre=
en Bay, Lun Co, I usually see tracks on a certain area of the beach which mu=
st be a favoured route from the ponds behind to the ocean. Perhaps a good ar=
ea to stake out.=20

Other possible places to see them are near their slides down steep banks whi=
ch must be frequently used and are obvious from a boat. The point at Miller'=
s Pt park near Bridgewater has several of these.=20

We also often saw Otters on or near our wharf in Riverport early in the day.=
 The resident mink did not seem to mind. So wharves in appropriate areas are=
 probably worth checking on too.=20

Nancy

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 26, 2014, at 5:32 PM, Bruce Stevens <m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com> wro=
te:
>=20
> Hi Paul,
>=20
> Thanks for the detailed reply! I think every time we want to focus on seei=
ng a certain species there's a veritable mountain of information to digest. I=
've had three sightings this winter. The first was in Lawrencetown Lake, and=
 was completely by chance. That otter was seen in the afternoon from the PP p=
arking lot alternating gallop/slide across the ice. The second was near Biss=
ett Lake (swimming, midday). The third was today in the West Marsh, so it se=
ems we're hunting in the same area(s). I have managed photos all three times=
, but they leave a lot to be desired.
>=20
> I'll definitely keep you in the loop of any sightings/revelations.
>=20
> Bruce Stevens
> Dartmouth, NS
>=20
>=20
>> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Paul Evans <pauldanielevans@gmail.com> w=
rote:
>> Hello Bruce,
>>=20
>> I am also interested in Otters and finding opportunities to photograph th=
em.
>>=20
>> I was in the Shetland Islands (UK) last June and spent a couple of days w=
ith an experienced local photographer and guide. He had a great deal of expe=
rience photographing Otters and we spent some time in amongst bird photograp=
hy focused on Otters. Despite several sightings, we didn=E2=80=99t get any g=
ood photographic opportunities. However, it was fairly informative as my gui=
de was very familiar with the local population and their behaviours. In that=
 area (with a much higher population density of Otters), the Otters would de=
fine territories that covered up to several kilometres and would typically h=
ave several different networks of burrows within a territory. Frequently use=
d territory is well marked by spraying/urination. There would be territorial=
 differences between males and females with pups, with males covering a much=
 larger area. The photographers in the Shetlands don=E2=80=99t use blinds a l=
ot. They instead focus on working a shoreline during feeding and resting act=
ivity. The essential element is being downwind. What they would do is work a=
cross a headland to get a view of a long stretch of upwind shoreline, try to=
 spot an Otter that is moving towards you, move into position while they are=
 underwater, and let them come to you. Where to go, and what direction to ap=
proach is entirely dictated by wind direction. Photographing Otters, even in=
 an area of high population is an exercise of patience, persistence and frus=
tration.=20
>>=20
>> With that said =E2=80=94 I=E2=80=99ve had almost no success locally. I tr=
y to keep my eye open for Otters in the area I frequent for birding and phot=
ography (the near Eastern Shore =E2=80=A6 Lawrencetown through Grand Desert)=
. Periodically I will see an Otter in the Lawrencetown Lake and West Lawrenc=
etown Marsh area. I=E2=80=99ve seen none of the territorial markings and bur=
rows that I saw in the Shetlands =E2=80=94 presumably due to a lower populat=
ion density (and lack of skill on my part). When I have seen Otters, it has b=
een mostly in open areas, especially in the winter when things are frozen up=
. I=E2=80=99ve thought the best photographic opportunity would be during a f=
airly deep freeze when there is limited open water. The best sighting of an O=
tter I had this year was near Conrad=E2=80=99s beach where an Otter was acti=
vely feeding on crabs at a small opening of water for about 30 minutes. Of c=
ourse, the camera was at home.
>> =20
>> A local acquaintance says that during spring there is a small lake and se=
t of streams, where he regularly see an Otter. He is an experience nature wa=
tcher and has promised to let me know if that Otter turns up this year.
>>=20
>> If you have found an Otter that is frequenting a specific area, then a bl=
ind may be a good approach. But as Darrell suggests, they probably cover a l=
arge area and it may be a long wait. Canoeing/kayaking may be a great way to=
 go.
>>=20
>> I=E2=80=99d love to hear how things go.
>>=20
>> Good luck!
>>=20
>> If anyone else has knowledge of local Otter behaviour it would be great t=
o hear.
>>=20
>> Paul Evans
>>=20
>> From: Bruce Stevens <m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com>
>> Date: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM
>> To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
>> Subject: [NatureNS] Otters
>>=20
>> Hi All,
>>=20
>> I've recently been trying to photograph otters at several different locat=
ions in HRM, and so far I've only had marginal luck. I'm hoping some knowled=
geable folks on here can offer some advice to tip the odds in my favour a bi=
t.
>>=20
>> My current effort involves erecting a portable blind at a site I've found=
 where one clearly comes ashore frequently as evidenced by scat. Are they mo=
st active at dawn and dusk in late winter? My reading suggests they become m=
ore nocturnal as we move into spring.