[NatureNS] Otters

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:45:23 -0400
From: "Simon,Molly [Sackville]" <Molly.Simon@EC.GC.CA>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

 tracks on a certain area of the beach which must be a favoured route f

------_=_NextPart_001_01CF33CA.8BE7CEB9

Hi Bruce,

=20

I don't presume to know much about Otters, but I did install some trail
cams on islands in the Eastern Shore Islands Wildlife Management Area
last year to try and get an idea of Otter and Mink activity in breeding
colonies of Common Eider as part of my graduate work. Here are some
things that you may or may not find useful:=20

-Cameras were operational from late April-early July.=20

-Most of my captures were at night (I'd have to go through them to see
what times exactly)

-Most of them were from earlier in the season. Quite a few captures
right after camera placement (that very night or shortly thereafter),
and I wonder if these were individuals checking out what we were doing;
or, alternatively, perhaps avoiding the areas after triggering the
cameras because of the flash. Each trigger event captured 3 photos at a
1 second interval, with quite a bright flash, and I can see the otter
retreating hastily and looking quite startled in the second two photos
for a lot of the captures.=20

-In my search of the literature, I read that they are most active just
prior to and during the breeding season (Feb-March, papers from the US,
so probably later here)

-Cameras were placed strategically. I surveyed all islands on foot
first, looking for latrines trails, burrows or scent marking areas, then
I placed cameras at these locations. Essentially, if they were to return
to that island, they would be returning in those locations, so I had a
better chance of capturing them on camera. I wonder if you could do
something similar and then stake out the area from a downwind location
with your camera.=20

-We didn't do this because we didn't necessarily want to attract Otter,
but I have read that you can "bait" them with shiny objects, like a CD
hanging by a string that would catch the light as it blows in the wind.
You could put this near a trail or somewhere they obviously frequent.=20

-The islands closer to the mainland had more activity than those further
offshore. Based on their activity on the islands, I would say nearby
rivers and harbours (Sheet Harbour, Port Dufferin, West Quoddy, Harrigan
Cove, Moser River, Ecum Secum) would be likely places to find them.=20

=20

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or want to see
pictures of the latrines and scent marking areas. I know how elusive
they can be. I was out there pretty well all summer from April-September
and we only saw one, though we weren't really looking for them.=20

=20

Good luck!

Molly

=20