[NatureNS] re Wild Canada, The Nature of Things last Thurs. eve.

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 02:26:15 -0300

--Apple-Mail-13--57852034
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

> [...]
> Nature of Things at 8 pm on CBC-TV, because I knew it was the
> beginning of a great-sounding 4-part series called "WILD CANADA --
> THE ETERNAL FRONTIER".  We are very low-tech' people who still use
> VCRs and videotapes, and it worked perfectly well -- the show was
> really SUPER!
>
> My memory of the show is very spotty, but the show's starting point
> in time is the last glaciation.  Most of this first episode was
> about the history of Canada's forests, starting with the east and
> moving westward through prairies and mountains and coast, then to
> the boreal forest, and finally to the low arctic tundra and high
> arctic tundra.  The photography by Sue & Jeff Turner was superb on
> our low-definition TVs, but it was the historical tales narrated by
> David Suzuki (yes, still doing it) that really caught my imagination.
>
> The eastern black oak forests were 'managed' by Aboriginals with
> the use of purposeful fires, to create an open forest & savannah
> complex.  And he claimed that many more deer were able to live
> there then than is possible now without the fires.
>
> Regarding the prairies, the spectacle of the Manitoba red-sided
> garter snakes was shown in spring, with huge numbers of males that
> emerge first and patiently? wait for the gradual emergence of the
> females to attempt to mate with them.
>
> On the Pacific coast the white Spirit or Kermode bear (a type of
> black bear) was shown learning to catch salmon.  Also they showed
> concentrated humpback whales feeding on the prodigiously produced
> marine creatures along the northwest coast.
>
> Later they showed a mother polar bear with young cubs just emerged
> from their den underneath very small trees of the edge of the
> tundra (northern edge of boreal forest).
>
> The show mentioned that just after the last glaciers, mammoths kept
> the ground and vegetation as a vast grassland.  Then came good old
> humans to change things, as they always do, here by destroying the
> mammoths and other Pleistocene mammals and helping to change the
> grassland into boggy tundra with different plants, which only
> caribou can deal with in large numbers.
>
> And so on...  I have left a lot out, and I must review the tape I
> still have before next Thursday.  FOR THOSE WHO MISSED IT, my
> weekend TV listings show The Nature of Things (unsure what titles)
> listed for CBC's NEWSWORLD channel (50 in Valley, 29 in Halifax) on
> Saturday at 8 pm and again on Sunday at 2 am.
>
> And here are two useful links to a review and the broadcast itself
> that I got from Googling the show's title:
>
> Canada is gorgeous and wild, and this TV series has the footage to
> prove it
> The Globe and Mail
> Wild Canada on The Nature of Things is stunning to watch,
> gloriously ... An overriding theme is how the presence of humans
> here has changed ...
>
> 'Wild Canada': CBC Nature TV Show Showcases Canada's Beauty

--Apple-Mail-13--57852034

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><br><div><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica"><b>[ValleyNature] re Wild Canada, The =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><br></div> <div style=3D"margin-top:=
 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font =
face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"5" style=3D"font: 16.0px Helvetica">Thursday =
evening, I asked my dutiful wife Pat at home to tape<b> The Nature of =
Things</b> at 8 pm on CBC-TV, because I knew it was the beginning of a =
great-sounding 4-part series called<b> "WILD CANADA -- THE ETERNAL =
FRONTIER"</b>.&nbsp;&nbsp;We are very low-tech' people who still use =
VCRs and videotapes, and it worked perfectly well -- the show was really =
SUPER!</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal =
16px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 19px; "><br></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"5" style=3D"font: =
16.0px Helvetica">My memory of the show is very spotty, but the =
<b>show's starting point</b> in time is the last glaciation. &nbsp;Most =
of this first episode was about the <b>history of Canada's forests</b>, =
starting with the east and moving westward through prairies and =
mountains and coast, then to the boreal forest, and finally to the low =
arctic tundra and high arctic tundra.&nbsp; The <b>photography by Sue =
&amp; Jeff Turner </b>was superb on our low-definition TVs, but it was =
the historical tales narrated by<b> David Suzuki</b> (yes, still doing =
it) that really caught my imagination.</font></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 16px/normal Helvetica; =
min-height: 19px; "><br></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font =
face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"5" style=3D"font: 16.0px Helvetica">The =
with the use of <b>purposeful fires</b>, to create an open forest &amp; =
savannah complex.&nbsp; And he claimed that many more deer were able to =
live there then than is possible now without the fires.</font></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 16px/normal Helvetica; =
min-height: 19px; "><br></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; ma