[NatureNS] transfer wood frog eggs?

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:52:17 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Quoting Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>:

>  What do you think of possibly transferring some to those
> otherwise "doomed" wood frog egg masses to the more traditional ponds
> located nearby, where wood frogs are traditionally known to frequent?  I
> know that we humans have a tendency to "play God" with wildlife, but this
> would seem like a fairly innocuous thing to do with perhaps very positive
> outcomes.  With many wetland sites already dealing with external stressors
> caused directly/indirectly by humans, is it possible that we could help out
> a little here (if so inclined)?

* that should be harmless - but if the summer is wet some of the
larger of the small pondlets may persist long enough for tadpoles to
transform. If you know of new ponds that don't have wood Frogs you
might introduce them there, or if the traditional ponds weren't used
this spring, you could put them there.

> This question may be more philosophical than natural history-based.

* the thing that this may do is to possibly establish new populations
in previously unoccupied habitat, so it may not be a problem for the
species/population if this kind of year doesn't occur frequently. Wood
Frog ponds depend on ephemeral water, and the ponds themselves are
often ephemeral on a scale of decades, so colonization is important.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book
          http://pinicola.ca/books/SNR_book.htm