[NatureNS] Owl Route in Tantallon

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:33:46 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_ceieNrqDzX62xsM7LSimIQ)

What kind of an owl at stop 7, Suzanne?
Lois Codling

On 28/04/2014 7:24 PM, Suzanne Borkowski wrote:
> I ran my second of three owl routes I do with Pat Chalmers on Saturday
> night.The first one was Pat’s route in Tangier – she’ll tell you about
> that shortly. We took Dennis Hippern with us, for his first ever owl
> route, into the former Bowater lands at Sandy Lake, Tantallon.We
> encountered a lot of ATV’s and dirt bikes which may have contributed
> to the lack of owls at our first six stops.The only owl we had was a
> distant Barred which Pat detected.
> At stop 7 we hit gold.Pat and Dennis heard a rustling in the trees on
> the far side of the road, then an owl flew across the road right over
> our heads.It then defecated loudly!We all clearly heard the plop/splat
> as the feces hit the ground.It then started calling and flying back
> and forth over our heads.We all got really good looks at it.We moved
> along as quickly as we could so as not to disturb it any further. At
> stop 8 I picked up a distant Saw-whet and at stop 9 we had a pair of
> Barreds fly in and call to us – scold us? We could clearly see the two
> of them on a branch about 20 feet over our heads.At stop 10 we had a
> much closer Saw-whet.
> No Great Horneds, but we were all pleased with what we saw and heard.
> Cheers;
> Suzanne

--Boundary_(ID_ceieNrqDzX62xsM7LSimIQ)

  <head>
  </head>
    What kind of an owl at stop 7, Suzanne?<br>
    Lois Codling<br>
      Borkowski wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1398723842.24927.YahooMailNeo@web142504.mail.bf1.yahoo.com"
      type="cite">
        font-family:HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial,
        Lucida Grande, sans-serif;font-size:12pt">
            second of three owl routes I do with Pat Chalmers
            on Saturday night.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>The
            first one was Pat’s
            route in Tangier – she’ll tell you about that shortly. <span
              style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> </span>We took Dennis Hippern
            with us, for his first
            ever owl route, into the former Bowater lands at Sandy Lake,
            Tantallon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>We
            encountered a lot of ATV’s and dirt bikes
            which may have contributed to the lack of owls at our first
            six stops.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>The
            only owl we had was a distant Barred
            which Pat detected.</font></div>
            we hit gold.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">
            far side of the
            road, then an owl flew across the road right over our heads.<span
              style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>It then defecated
            loudly!<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>We all
            clearly heard the plop/splat as the
            feces hit the ground.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>It
            then started
            calling and flying back and forth over our heads.<span
              style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>We all got really
            good looks at it.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>We
            moved along as quickly as we could so as
            not to disturb it any further. <span style="mso-spacerun:
              yes;"> </span>At stop 8
            I picked up a distant Saw-whet and at stop 9 we had a pair
            of Barreds fly in
            and call to us – scold us? <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> </span>We
            could
            clearly see the two of them on a branch about 20 feet over
            our heads.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>At stop
            10 we had a much closer Saw-whet.</font></div>
            Horneds, but we were all pleased with what we saw
            and heard.</font></div>

--Boundary_(ID_ceieNrqDzX62xsM7LSimIQ)--