[NatureNS] Guysborough Intervale owl survey

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 09:12:07 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11390f1cb5ed6f04f8559435

Last night, my buddy Ivan and I did my second of two owl surveys. The
starting point is the farthest point away from home, and we drive the route
backwards during daylight to make sure the very remote road is in adequate
condition. It was good enough for my truck, but I wouldn't have taken a car
through that. There has been cutting on this route over the past few years,
but nothing new this year.

We should have kept track of the wildlife we saw during the approach to
Stop 1. We estimated about 20 grouse, including some strutting, at least a
dozen porcupine, probably 25 hare and a few deer. No bear this year.

The listening conditions were awesome, with barely a breath of air
movement. Ivan heard one distant Saw-whet at stop 4, then both of us heard
two more on two stops further up the line. Our habit is to stand a few
metres apart, near the truck, facing each other so each is looking either
up or down the road, and we can communicate with each other, as well. At
one stop, I spotted a large owl flying at tree top level over the road,
approaching us...I didn't want to spook the bird, so I didn't say anything
to Ivan...he was destined to see it in a few seconds anyway. Sadly, just
before it got to him, it veered into the woods and he didn't get a look. It
never vocalized or appeared again despite the two Barred Owl recordings
being played after that.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--001a11390f1cb5ed6f04f8559435

urveys. The starting point is the farthest point away from home, and we dri=
ve the route backwards during daylight to make sure the very remote road is=
 in adequate condition. It was good enough for my truck, but I wouldn&#39;t=
 have taken a car through that. There has been cutting on this route over t=
he past few years, but nothing new this year.<div>

approach to Stop 1. We estimated about 20 grouse, including some strutting,=
 at least a dozen porcupine, probably 25 hare and a few deer. No bear this =
year.</div>

eath of air movement. Ivan heard one distant Saw-whet at stop 4, then both =
of us heard two more on two stops further up the line. Our habit is to stan=
d a few metres apart, near the truck, facing each other so each is looking =
either up or down the road, and we can communicate with each other, as well=
. At one stop, I spotted a large owl flying at tree top level over the road=
, approaching us...I didn&#39;t want to spook the bird, so I didn&#39;t say=
 anything to Ivan...he was destined to see it in a few seconds anyway. Sadl=
y, just before it got to him, it veered into the woods and he didn&#39;t ge=
t a look. It never vocalized or appeared again despite the two Barred Owl r=
ecordings being played after that.</div>

--001a11390f1cb5ed6f04f8559435--