[NatureNS] Guysborough Intervale owl survey

From: Paul Ruggles <cpruggles@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 09:39:05 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-2--266049757

Hi Randy,
Amazing! Could you locate the road for me? Sounds like a good bet for my =
video adventures.
Paul Ruggles.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN9vPZWRq8auD66f8rfEKeQ

On 2014-05-01, at 9:12 AM, Randy Lauff wrote:

> Last night, my buddy Ivan and I did my second of two owl surveys. The =
starting point is the farthest point away from home, and we drive the =
route backwards during daylight to make sure the very remote road is in =
adequate condition. It was good enough for my truck, but I wouldn't have =
taken a car through that. There has been cutting on this route over the =
past few years, but nothing new this year.
>=20
> We should have kept track of the wildlife we saw during the approach =
to Stop 1. We estimated about 20 grouse, including some strutting, at =
least a dozen porcupine, probably 25 hare and a few deer. No bear this =
year.
>=20
> The listening conditions were awesome, with barely a breath of air =
movement. Ivan heard one distant Saw-whet at stop 4, then both of us =
heard two more on two stops further up the line. Our habit is to stand a =
few metres apart, near the truck, facing each other so each is looking =
either up or down the road, and we can communicate with each other, as =
well. At one stop, I spotted a large owl flying at tree top level over =
the road, approaching us...I didn't want to spook the bird, so I didn't =
say anything to Ivan...he was destined to see it in a few seconds =
anyway. Sadly, just before it got to him, it veered into the woods and =
he didn't get a look. It never vocalized or appeared again despite the =
two Barred Owl recordings being played after that.
>=20
> Randy
> _________________________________
> RF Lauff
> Way in the boonies of
> Antigonish County, NS.

--Apple-Mail-2--266049757

-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi =
Randy,<div>Amazing! Could you locate the road for me? Sounds like a good =
bet for my video adventures.</div><div>Paul =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal =
normal normal 18px/normal Helvetica; "><a =
href=3D"https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN9vPZWRq8auD66f8rfEKeQ">https://=
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 18px/normal Helvetica; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">Last night, my buddy Ivan and I did my =
second of two owl surveys. The starting point is the farthest point away =
from home, and we drive the route backwards during daylight to make sure =
the very remote road is in adequate condition. It was good enough for my =
truck, but I wouldn't have taken a car through that. There has been =
cutting on this route over the past few years, but nothing new this =
year.<div>

the approach to Stop 1. We estimated about 20 grouse, including some =
strutting, at least a dozen porcupine, probably 25 hare and a few deer. =
No bear this year.</div>

breath of air movement. Ivan heard one distant Saw-whet at stop 4, then =
both of us heard two more on two stops further up the line. Our habit is =
to stand a few metres apart, near the truck, facing each other so each =
is looking either up or down the road, and we can communicate with each =
other, as well. At one stop, I spotted a large owl flying at tree top =
level over the road, approaching us...I didn't want to spook the bird, =
so I didn't say anything to Ivan...he was destined to see it in a few =
seconds anyway. Sadly, just before it got to him, it veered into the =
woods and he didn't get a look. It never vocalized or appeared again =
despite the two Barred Owl recordings being played after that.</div>

in the boonies of<br>Antigonish County, NS.</div>

--Apple-Mail-2--266049757--