[NatureNS] Guysborough Intervale owl survey

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 09:58:02 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11346f6aee2ec304f8563855

Hi Paul,

The coordinates for the first stop are 45.4741, 61.6486. The route goes
north from there.

There used to be a veterinarian here by the name of Ruggles...any relation?

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 1 May 2014 09:39, Paul Ruggles <cpruggles@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Hi Randy,
> Amazing! Could you locate the road for me? Sounds like a good bet for my
> video adventures.
> Paul Ruggles.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN9vPZWRq8auD66f8rfEKeQ
>

> On 2014-05-01, at 9:12 AM, Randy Lauff wrote:
>
> Last night, my buddy Ivan and I did my second of two owl surveys. The
> starting point is the farthest point away from home, and we drive the route
> backwards during daylight to make sure the very remote road is in adequate
> condition. It was good enough for my truck, but I wouldn't have taken a car
> through that. There has been cutting on this route over the past few years,
> but nothing new this year.
>
> We should have kept track of the wildlife we saw during the approach to
> Stop 1. We estimated about 20 grouse, including some strutting, at least a
> dozen porcupine, probably 25 hare and a few deer. No bear this year.
>
> The listening conditions were awesome, with barely a breath of air
> movement. Ivan heard one distant Saw-whet at stop 4, then both of us heard
> two more on two stops further up the line. Our habit is to stand a few
> metres apart, near the truck, facing each other so each is looking either
> up or down the road, and we can communicate with each other, as well. At
> one stop, I spotted a large owl flying at tree top level over the road,
> approaching us...I didn't want to spook the bird, so I didn't say anything
> to Ivan...he was destined to see it in a few seconds anyway. Sadly, just
> before it got to him, it veered into the woods and he didn't get a look. It
> never vocalized or appeared again despite the two Barred Owl recordings
> being played after that.
>
> Randy
> _________________________________
> RF Lauff
> Way in the boonies of
> Antigonish County, NS.

--001a11346f6aee2ec304f8563855

/div><div>There used to be a veterinarian here by the name of Ruggles...any=
 relation?</div>

oonies of<br>Antigonish County, NS.</div>
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:cpruggles@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">=
uote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1e=
x">

 the road for me? Sounds like a good bet for my video adventures.</div><div=
-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font:normal normal normal 18px=
/normal Helvetica">

=3D"_blank">https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN9vPZWRq8auD66f8rfEKeQ</a></d=
px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;font:normal normal normal 18px/normal =
Helvetica">

an and I did my second of two owl surveys. The starting point is the farthe=
st point away from home, and we drive the route backwards during daylight t=
o make sure the very remote road is in adequate condition. It was good enou=
gh for my truck, but I wouldn&#39;t have taken a car through that. There ha=
s been cutting on this route over the past few years, but nothing new this =
year.<div>

approach to Stop 1. We estimated about 20 grouse, including some strutting,=
 at least a dozen porcupine, probably 25 hare and a few deer. No bear this =
year.</div>

eath of air movement. Ivan heard one distant Saw-whet at stop 4, then both =
of us heard two more on two stops further up the line. Our habit is to stan=
d a few metres apart, near the truck, facing each other so each is looking =
either up or down the road, and we can communicate with each other, as well=
. At one stop, I spotted a large owl flying at tree top level over the road=
, approaching us...I didn&#39;t want to spook the bird, so I didn&#39;t say=
 anything to Ivan...he was destined to see it in a few seconds anyway. Sadl=
y, just before it got to him, it veered into the woods and he didn&#39;t ge=
t a look. It never vocalized or appeared again despite the two Barred Owl r=
ecordings being played after that.</div>

--001a11346f6aee2ec304f8563855--