[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 21:27:46 -0300

What a week this has been for birds here at our place!
Thursday there were birds moving through the yard all over the place.  I
worked outside for a time and it pure magic! Of note, not seen recently
included: a female or juvenile male Ruby throat Hummingbird, Purple Finches,
males and juveniles and/or females, American Goldfinches, gorgeous male
Baltimore Oriole who sang his heart out in apple tree. Brown creeper, White
Breasted nuthatch, Red winged blackbirds, 2 females; with the RWB was a
another cowbird. It took me awhile to ID this but I am pretty sure a Merlin!
(that seemed to be hunting a Sharp shinned hawk).
If that wasn't enough, we had what appeared to be a mixed flock of wax wings
arrive and right behind them were Red Crossbills!
Friday morning I awakened to find the (a?) male Oriole here. Things were
pretty busy but I did record GB heron, Bald Eagle, an Osprey and a
hummingbird. There were a number of what appeared to be small geese moving
along the shore. They flew like Canada Geese, but had shorter necks were
smaller all round and heading East. there were a number of groups, the most
at one time would be 7. Possibly Brants?
Ducks were moving through a couple times. I can tell they are ducks but
which ones my guess would be Black ducks.
Todays bird count is as follows. Many of theses birds are here everyday.

May 10, 2014 at White Point we started checking at dawn and stopped at 8:30
pm,  This is what we noted:

Mourning Doves, 9
Pigeon, 3
Grackles, 18
Starlings 13
Red-winged Blackbirds, 2 males, 1 female
Sea Gulls: Herring, 5
                  unknown, 7
Woodpeckers:
Northern Flickers, 3