[NatureNS] St. Croix Bluebird

From: "John & Francine Belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 17:52:29 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0084_01CF6C78.9C5D4FB0

I decided to make a special effort to add the Bluebird that was reported =
a couple of weeks ago,to my NAMC tour today. I had my lunch in the car =
on the Rocks Road in St Croix while watching for the bird.  It was =
pretty dark so quite hard to identify anything flying over and so windy =
in that completely open area that the glasses kept vibrating badly. I =
had given up ,begun to move the car off when a small bird flew over and =
fluttered onto a nearby post. Rolling the window down I had great views =
of a Bluebird, the first I have seen in several years. Naturally, as =
soon as I got out to photograph it, it took off. But at least it is =
still in the same area so it may be breeding nearby.

I had more success with the Bald Eagle nest on the Avon estuary at Mount =
Denson, obtaining some clear shots of a fierce parent guarding the nest. =
This nest is much closer to the ground than others I am familiar with =
which provides an improved view. However it is on clearly marked private =
property. Fortunately the house is currently for sale and I didn't think =
anyone would complain about my brief visit.=20
Anyone looking for a water-front home with its own eagle nest?

John Belbin - Hantsport
------=_NextPart_000_0084_01CF6C78.9C5D4FB0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I decided to make a special effort to =
add the=20
Bluebird that was reported a couple of weeks ago,to my NAMC tour today. =
I had my=20
lunch in the car on the Rocks Road in St Croix while watching for the=20
bird.&nbsp; It was pretty dark so quite hard to identify anything flying =
over=20
and so windy in that completely open area that the glasses kept =
vibrating badly.=20
I had given up ,begun to move the car off when a small bird flew over =
and=20
fluttered onto a nearby post. Rolling the window down I had great views =
of a=20
Bluebird, the first I have seen in several years. Naturally, as soon as =
I got=20
out to photograph it, it took off. But at least it is still=20
in&nbsp;the&nbsp;same area so it may be breeding nearby.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I had more success with the Bald Eagle =
nest on the=20
Avon estuary at Mount Denson, obtaining some clear shots of a fierce =
parent=20
guarding the nest. This nest is much closer to the ground than others I =
am=20
familiar with which provides an improved view. However it is on clearly =
marked=20
private property.&nbsp;Fortunately the house is currently for sale and I =
didn't=20
think anyone would complain about my brief visit.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Anyone looking for a =
water-front&nbsp;home with its=20
own eagle nest?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>John Belbin - =
Hantsport</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0084_01CF6C78.9C5D4FB0--