[NatureNS] butterflies and unusual bird

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 09:13:43 -0300

yesterday things warmed up along the shore and there were a number of small
colourful moths and butterflies. I was pleased to see the first good sized
butterfly was a Mourning Cloak, very large, crisp colours and very active,
on the back road into the White Point Estates. There was a Sulfer as well as
number of Cabbages. A very pretty brown moth (I think) on the side of my
sister's house. Maybe she can ID it when she gets back later today.
The bird, was flying with a number of Purple finches settled in for awhile
in Broad River, Queens. The feeder is a squirrel proofed sunflower feeder
beside a platform feeder and the bird seemed quite content to feed at a
station and on the ground.
I am tentatively calling it as a female Cassin finch.
best regards, Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca