[NatureNS] 2014 Chimney Swift Monitoring

From: Holly Lightfoot <hlightfoot@bsc-eoc.org>
To: "'naturens@chebucto.ns.ca'" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 15:03:44 -0400

Hello all,

Chimney Swifts have yet to been spotted at three Maritime roost sites, marking the beginning of another season for Maritimes SwiftWatch.

In 2014, we are asking SwiftWatch participants to count Chimney Swifts at roost sites during spring migration on the following dates: May 21, May 25, May 29, and June 2. These counts are part of a national monitoring effort to identify trends in Chimney Swift population. Counters are still needed some sites (e.g Mabou) across the Maritimes so please let us know if you are interested in surveying.

Further we would like Maritimers to continue searching for and reporting active nest and roost sites in both anthropogenic sites (e.g. chimneys) and natural areas. To share a Chimney Swift sighting, report a new roost or nest site, or help monitor an existing site, please contact us (marswifts@birdscanada.org; 1-506-364-5196) or consider sharing your sightings and roost counts on our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/Maritimes.Swifts; omit specific address information if posting here), on NatureCounts (www.birdscanada.org/birdmon/mar_swift) or via eBird. We also invite you to "like" us and post your stories, photos, videos and questions on our Facebook page.

To learn more about Maritimes SwiftWatch, read our 2013/14 newsletter, and download instructions, data sheets and other resources, visit the SwiftWatch website at: www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/acswifts

Thank-you and happy swift-watching!
Holly

Holly Lightfoot
Acting Aerial Insectivore