[NatureNS] slacks - when do they refill?

Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 16:05:00 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 5/20/2014 3:20 PM, Randy Lauff wrote:
> Thanks Fred, but in a dune system, wouldn't that mean that the slacks
> would be less than half full with water? These are sand dunes...very
> porous, so I'm suspecting water leaching in from the hills of the dunes
> into the slacks just couldn't fill them. This is unlike the condition in
> vernal pools where there can be ample elevation around from which water
> could leach in to the pool area. I'm thinking there has to be a
> significant rain or snow fall to fill them.

* of course I can't visualize your landscape, but in sand wouldn't the
precipitation just immediately flow away into the water table? Those
vernal pools that are good Wood Frog breeding habitat don't particularly
respond to immediate precipitation (as nearby flow-connected wetlands
do), since they don't have any inflowing streams, and they just seem to
be at whatever level the water table is - and it would seem that this
would be even more the case in sand, unless there's clay lenses under
the surface that hold the water from snow melt & rain? (my Wood Frog
ponds are actually among old dunes from the Champlain Sea, that were
more recently active after the deforestation of the late 19th Century).

fred.

--
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/