[NatureNS] Spores vs. seeds

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 22:14:21 -0300

Hi Again,
    Yes I understood the question but I attempted to show that a
bullet-proof definition is not readily possible. As with most words, usage
and context define the meaning of a word. A first year Botany text and a
Cryptogamic Botany text would fill in the necessary context.
     I vaguely recall that when exposed to this 60+ years ago we learned
about a few extinct or very rare plants that had highly modified leaves that
were almost flower-like in function and bare ovules that gave rise to
structures that were almost seeds etc.  And if such intermediate plants had
not been recognized then they would have had to be postulated to be
consistent with evolution.

    Precise definitions and Biology are like oil and water. I expect many
pre-school
children would tell you that 1/2 + 1/2 does not equal 2 but the terminology
of  meisosis and mitosis says that when the chromosomes of a haploid cell
fuse with those of another haploid cell then the product is diploid.

    Is a lichen an organism ?; no. Is it alive ?;yes. Can it reproduce ?;no.
It is way past my bedtime.
Yt, Dave Webster