[NatureNS] Glossy Buckthorn

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 14:11:31 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_162E_01CF83EC.B660A020

RE: [NatureNS] Glossy BuckthornHi Donna & All,
    I am talking about Rhamnus frangula AKA, Frangula alnus & Glossy =
Buckthorn.

    Cutting most woody perennials, including Glossy Buckthorn, off at =
the wrong time is quite ineffective as you say.=20

    But for cutting  to have maximum effect they should be cut off at =
the right time; just after current photosynthates have been spent =
growing shoots, roots and fruit but before downward flow into roots for =
storage commences. For most woody plants here August is safe.

    And they do flop over when stands become dense especially if there =
are full scale trees nearby. They expend too much energy keep leaves in =
sunlight and not enough in stem diameter. If by chance a bunch become =
bent over by snow or ice it is game over. =20

    This plant was brought over by the Acadians probably as a source of =
good porous charcoal for gunpowder. Do you not find it curious that it =
has become a 'pest' only in recent decades ? Why did it just sit around =
hatching evil plans for nearly 400 years ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
  ----- Original Message -----=20