[NatureNS] Butterflies and Tree swallows

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 12:05:35 -0300

What a gorgeous day here in White Point, Queens
I was enjoying my tea on the steps by the grapevine and was thrilled to see
three lovely crisp Red Admiral butterflies. We also have a number of the
yellow swallowtails, cabbage butterflies and many tiny moths.
One nest of tree swallows has lifted off. Three youngsters, I think and the
second house full is being brought along by very busy birds who are still
entering the house to a chorus of cheeps so it will be awhile yet before
they get brought out. Maybe by July 1st which I have come to think of as
swallow lift off day.
Lots of hummingbirds, several fresh and boisterous squirrels have been
brought to the yard to fend for themselves, and are getting into everything.
Also have a very sweet and shy Chipmunk baby, all dewy eyed and quiet. There
are many starlings and Grackles and another young Robin. Crows and Ravens
took quite a toll. Not a sign of the Red-winged Blackbirds. Very unusual. I
think there has been at least one family here every summer since we came
over. I hardly see a Sparrow of any sort now, either.  Too many bigger
birds, maybe? Oh  a Blue Jay brought over a youngster this morning. I
suppose it might just be everyone is being kept busy as a result of "doing
it" all over the neighbourhood!  Ha!
I'm going to try to finish putting the garden in today. There are many, Many
more snails this than even last when I thought the numbers were bad.
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca