[NatureNS] Miner's Marsh offleash park...

From: Annabelle Thiebaux <hamst@xplornet.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:43:55 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

&gt;

--Apple-Mail-B447D5C6-60B5-4DA7-A287-5206959E920F

Sorry, that should have been Richard!

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 23, 2014, at 10:36 PM, Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com> wrote=
:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> People may not agree with many of David's posts, and I suspect he might po=
st some stuff just for the sake of being controversial, or to initiate discu=
ssion, but actually I usually enjoy reading them. There are others who somet=
imes post in a similar vein. I don't think disagreeing with the contents of a=
 post, or many posts,  would be grounds for removing someone, as long as tha=
t person is not rude, demeaning  or insulting to other members. Any thoughts=
, List-owner (or David)?
>=20
> Richard
>=20
>=20
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM, <cpepper@ymail.com> wrote:
>> Sooo, how much of David Webster's bullshit do we have to put up with befo=
re we can remove him from the list?
>>=20
>> Chris
>> Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
>> Envoy=C3=A9 sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le r=C3=A9sea=
u de Bell.
>> From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
>> Sender: naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca
>> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 21:16:31 -0300
>> To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
>> ReplyTo: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Miner's Marsh offleash park...
>>=20
>> Hi All,                        June 23, 2014
>>     I have a problem with over zealous regulation and over zealous enforc=
ement. If a park operates on a strickly 'look but don't touch basis' then pr=
otection may be complete but of short duration. This applies especially now w=
hen many kids are in love with the latest game/technology and bored by anyth=
ing natural (unless it is packaged in 30 second clips to be enjoyed in the c=
omfort of a chair at home).
>> =20
>>     Or, expressed another way, Pogo and his friends will over the long ha=
ul be protected by the child who takes a turtle home and thereby learns to r=
espect the natural world.
>> =20
>>     Miner' s Marsh is subject to severe floods from time to time. And as m=
ore esker segments and other coarse glacial deposits upstream are mined for s=
and and gravel this flow instability is bound to increase. I suspect that ma=
ny Miner's Marsh Painted Turtles will be swept out to sea whenever we have l=
ate floods.
>> =20
>>  John Muir as a boy, when grounded to home base, sometimes amused himself=
 by throwing stones at cats or, in one instance, dropping one out of a high w=
indow. Somehow this wild boy turned out ok, mainly because he was wild.
>> =20
>> They hang the man and flog the woman
>> who steals the goose from off the common
>>  but let the greater criminal loose
>>  who steals the common from the goose.
>> =20
>> Yt, DW, Kentville
>> =20
>> =20
>>   =20
 title of that Rolling Stones song:  =E2=80=9CYou can=E2=80=99t always get w=
hat you want.=E2=80=9D=20
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
>> The appropriate response for a parent to make is, =E2=80=9CNo, you can=E2=
=80=99t.  [Insert reason.]  Get over it.=E2=80=9D
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
>> Looks as if a lot of public education is needed.  It=E2=80=99s very troub=
ling if authorities hesitate to impose penalties because of fear of public r=
eaction.
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
e Marsh these days. This morning a number of them were chasing ducks in the w=
ater. There are currently broods of Wood Ducks, Mallards and Pied-billed Gre=
bes (2 pairs) hanging around within the marsh and young of other birds at th=
e periphery of the marsh.
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
>> Speaking with Gren Jones, DU Director, there is a fine for having off-lea=
sh dogs at this site. There is one sign indicating to keep pets on leashes b=
ut it is around the back near the private drive (northeast corner). There us=
ed to be one near the bridge as well, but it has been taken down. It is not f=
un to remind people of this and can elicit strong emotions from some people w=
hen confronted about it. DU is working to get another sign up here.=20
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
>> turtles -=20
>>=20
>> during Marsh Madness this weekend a number of attendees mentioned that th=
ey have observed people taking Eastern Painted Turtles from the Marsh for th=
eir children etc. One individual mentioned that they were trying to convince=
 a lady not to take them from the marsh and she responded that since she tol=
d her child she could have one, and that the child was currently crying she w=
ould just take it anyway.
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
>> Some thoughts around this are to put up an interpretive sign near some of=
 the prime basking areas, or even create basking areas farther from the mars=
h edge.