[NatureNS] Eastern bluebird update Union Square

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 02:28:59 +0000

--_342e64b3-32f1-4219-b2d1-6b7d4a37e503_

Hi all:
=20
It did the heart and soul good today to see so many birds at Union Square. =
 The owners of the vineyard are very cognitive of both the birds and wildli=
fe present.  Although a place of work the birds are unharmed and plentiful =
and the farm is run with them in mind.  Much wildlife also abounds.  There =
are many tree swallow boxes there and all are occupied with adults feeding =
young.  The box with the eastern bluebirds has been visited by the female f=
or four days now.  I think they will remain and nest there as they seemed q=
uite at home.  While present I observed the male capture a dragonfly and pr=
oceed to the nest box entrance.  He then flew to the female on a post and p=
assed the dragonfly to her.  I'm assuming pair bonding for this species.  T=
he female entered the nest hole a number of times.  Floater female tree swa=
llows came to the hole entrance a number of times to check the nest box out=
.  At one point the female eastern bluebird put the run to three of them=2C=
 so that is a good sign.  She also put the run to any other interlopers. =20
=20
Savannah sparrows are present and a pond area.  Barn swallows nest also on =
site.  Previously killdeer successfully raised young as have many other bir=
d species on the farm.  Barred owls hunt over the field for rodents on occa=
sion.  Many raptors are about year round.  Red-tailed hawks and ravens nest=
 nearby.  We also observed a common nighthawk fly by.  A field is left uncu=
t until later in the year where bobolinks have nested in the past.  A male =
was present up until a week ago=2C but he does not seem to have found a mat=
e and has disappeared from the area. =20
=20
Just up the road at another farm=2C Delongs=2C there are tons of barn swall=
ows and I counted 12 cliff swallows entering nests. =20
=20
I saw many species of butterflies=2C but was unable to get any photos=2C li=
kely northern crescent=2C a few skippers=2C a sulphur=2C a number of cabbag=
e whites=2C tiger swallowtails=2C red admirals=2C and a few other species t=
hat I did not really recognize.  I did take a photo of a dragonfly I did no=
t recognize.  Common whitetails were prevelant as was a darner (maybe Canad=
a or green=2C one of the ones with the blue abdoman.  There were also two s=
pecies of damselflies. =20
=20
A groundhog was observed running along the edge of the field.
=20
In New Germany a chipping sparrow was singing away.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
=20
 		 	   		  =

--_342e64b3-32f1-4219-b2d1-6b7d4a37e503_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
BR>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">It did the heart and soul good today to see=
 so many birds at Union Square.&nbsp=3B The owners of the vineyard are very=
 cognitive of both the birds and wildlife present.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BAlthough =
a place of work the birds are unharmed and plentiful and the farm is run wi=
th them in mind.&nbsp=3B Much wildlife also abounds.&nbsp=3B There are many=
 tree swallow boxes there and all are occupied with adults feeding young.&n=
bsp=3B The box with the eastern bluebirds has been visited by the female fo=
r four days now.&nbsp=3B I think they will remain and nest there as they se=
emed quite at home.&nbsp=3B While present I observed the male capture a dra=
gonfly and proceed to the nest box entrance.&nbsp=3B He then flew to the fe=
male on a post and passed the dragonfly to her.&nbsp=3B I'm assuming pair b=
onding for this species.&nbsp=3B The female entered the nest hole a number =
of times.&nbsp=3B Floater female tree swallows came to the hole entrance a =
number of times to check the nest box out.&nbsp=3B At one point the female =
eastern bluebird put the run to three of them=2C so that is a good sign.&nb=
sp=3B She also put the run to any other interlopers.&nbsp=3B </font><BR><fo=
nt size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">Savannah sparrows are pre=
sent and a pond area.&nbsp=3B Barn swallows nest also on site.&nbsp=3B Prev=
iously killdeer successfully raised young as have many other bird species o=
n the farm.&nbsp=3B Barred owls hunt over the field for rodents on occasion=
.&nbsp=3B Many raptors are about year round.&nbsp=3B Red-tailed hawks and r=
avens nest nearby.&nbsp=3B We also observed a common nighthawk fly by.&nbsp=
=3B A field is left uncut until later in the year where bobolinks have nest=
ed in the past.&nbsp=3B A male was present up until a week ago=2C but he do=
es not seem to have found a mate and has disappeared from the area.&nbsp=3B=
e road at another farm=2C Delongs=2C there are tons of barn swallows and I =
counted 12 cliff swallows entering nests.&nbsp=3B </font><BR><font size=3D"=
6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">I saw many species of butterflies=2C=
 but was unable to get any photos=2C likely northern crescent=2C a few skip=
pers=2C a sulphur=2C a number of cabbage whites=2C&nbsp=3Btiger swallowtail=
s=2C red admirals=2C and a few other species that I did not really recogniz=
e.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BI did take a photo of a dragonfly I did not recognize.&nb=
sp=3B Common whitetails were prevelant as was a darner (maybe Canada or gre=
en=2C one of the ones with the blue abdoman.&nbsp=3B There were also two sp=
ecies of damselflies.&nbsp=3B </font><BR><font size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<B=
ield.</font><BR><font size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">In New=
 Germany a chipping sparrow was singing away.</font><BR><font size=3D"6"></=
font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">James R. Hirtle</font><BR><font size=3D"6=
">Bridgewater</font><BR><font size=3D"6">&nbsp=3B<br id=3D"FontBreak"></fon=
t><BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_342e64b3-32f1-4219-b2d1-6b7d4a37e503_--