[NatureNS] Neonicatinoids & Fibronil

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 14:25:28 -0300
From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

For further reading, I have linked to a paper stored as a .pdf on the
Ontario Beekeepers' Association website (see link below).

Speaking for myself, I find much of the information in this document
to be very troubling. For one, the discussion of half-life in soil
certainly raises a red flag as far as I'm concerned.  See page 3.
 "For the most commonly used seed treatments, reported half-lives in
soil typically range from 200 to in excess of 1000 days."  There is
more about the residue getting into groundwater and watersheds.

I do wonder about all of this - not just with regard to bees, but
other insects as well.  This will be my fifth summer at my place
outside Annapolis Royal.  I have been putting out moth lights at night
each summer.  The first two summers here (2010 and 2011), I was quite
thrilled by the moths coming to the lamps.  Unfortunately, things have
gone downhill since then.  Last summer, I tried putting up different
lights and it made no great improvement.  Now I am at the point of
barely feeling it worthwhile to bother anymore.  I have puzzled over
what is going on - if there was some kind of forestry spraying taking
place that I was unaware of.  More recently, I've considered
neonicotinoids, but dismissed them as I did not think they would be in
use nearby.  However, upon more consideration, I realize that there
are very large corn fields at probably well less than 500 meters
distance as the bee flies.  After reading the linked document, I'm
thinking that is actually pretty close.

Anyhow, here is the link to which I am referring:

Journal of Applied Ecology 2013, 50, 977–987
Review
An overview of the environmental risks posedby neonicotinoid insecticides
Dave Goulson
Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Stirling,
Stirling, FK9 4LA, UK

http://www.ontariobee.com/sites/ontariobee.com/files/Goulson's_review_June_2013_J_appl_Ecol.pdf