[NatureNS] Neonicatinoids & Fibronil

From: Mary Macaulay <Marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 15:12:05 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-9D0CA745-1C87-47DC-971D-4B9155F2E51F

People are using them in mosquito zappers at well in recreational areas and t=
his is what brought them toy attention as I'm a keen dragonfly watcher. The l=
arge aeschnas have been especially effected as they have large territories u=
p and down the lake. They used to be very abundant just a few years ago but n=
ow I seldom see them. Other insects up at Angevine have also declined marked=
ly. For example I used to have a terrible time with wasps at the hummingbird=
 feeders. Now none!!

With kindest regards
Mary (Macaulay)
marymacaulay@hotmail.com
@maryemacaulay

"What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of littl=
e consequence. The only consequence is what we do."
-- John Ruskin

> On Jun 26, 2014, at 2:25 PM, Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> For further reading, I have linked to a paper stored as a .pdf on the
> Ontario Beekeepers' Association website (see link below).
>=20
> Speaking for myself, I find much of the information in this document
> to be very troubling. For one, the discussion of half-life in soil
> certainly raises a red flag as far as I'm concerned.  See page 3.
> "For the most commonly used seed treatments, reported half-lives in
> soil typically range from 200 to in excess of 1000 days."  There is
> more about the residue getting into groundwater and watersheds.
>=20
> I do wonder about all of this - not just with regard to bees, but
> other insects as well.  This will be my fifth summer at my place
> outside Annapolis Royal.  I have been putting out moth lights at night
> each summer.  The first two summers here (2010 and 2011), I was quite
> thrilled by the moths coming to the lamps.  Unfortunately, things have
> gone downhill since then.  Last summer, I tried putting up different
> lights and it made no great improvement.  Now I am at the point of
> barely feeling it worthwhile to bother anymore.  I have puzzled over
> what is going on - if there was some kind of forestry spraying taking
> place that I was unaware of.  More recently, I've considered
> neonicotinoids, but dismissed them as I did not think they would be in
> use nearby.  However, upon more consideration, I realize that there
> are very large corn fields at probably well less than 500 meters
> distance as the bee flies.  After reading the linked document, I'm
> thinking that is actually pretty close.
>=20
> Anyhow, here is the link to which I am referring:
>=20
> Journal of Applied Ecology 2013, 50, 977=E2=80=93987
> Review
> An overview of the environmental risks posedby neonicotinoid insecticides
> Dave Goulson
> Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Stirling,
> Stirling, FK9 4LA, UK
>=20
> http://www.ontariobee.com/sites/ontariobee.com/files/Goulson's_review_June=
_2013_J_appl_Ecol.pdf
>=20
>> On 6/26/14, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>    Questions about Neonicatinoids & Fibronil came up recently just before=
>> became aware of recent reports.
>>=20
>> http://www.environmentalleader.com/2014/06/25/clear-evidence-neonicotinoi=
ds-a-key-factor-in-bee-decline/
>>=20
>>    When there is this much smoke there must be some fire. The practice of=

>> coating seeds with a systemic insecticide, that so I understand renders a=
ll
>> tissue of that plant toxic to insects, is in itself sufficient to set off=
 my
>> alarm bells.
>>=20
>>    The above coupled with-
>> http://qz.com/107970/scientists-discover-whats-killing-the-bees-and-its-w=
orse-than-you-thought/
>>=20
>> show that use of pesticides should be governed by restraint.
>>=20
>>    As an aside, much of the pioneering research in Biological Control (AK=
>> Integrated Pest Control) was carried out at Kentville largely with the
>> objective, on principle, of using the least practicable quantity of
>> pesticide.
>>=20
>> Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

--Apple-Mail-9D0CA745-1C87-47DC-971D-4B9155F2E51F

ers at well in recreational areas and this is what brought them toy attentio=
n as I'm a keen dragonfly watcher. The large aeschnas have been especially e=
ffected as they have large territories up and down the lake. They used to be=
 very abundant just a few years ago but now I seldom see them. Other insects=
 up at Angevine have also declined markedly. For example I used to have a te=
rrible time with wasps at the hummingbird feeders. Now none!!<br><br>With ki=
olor: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">"What we think, or what we know, or what we b=
elieve is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what w=
6, 2014, at 2:25 PM, Bev Wigney &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bkwigney@gmail.com">bk=
/span><br><span>Ontario Beekeepers' Association website (see link below).</s=
cally range from 200 to in excess of 1000 days." &nbsp;There is</span><br><s=
pan>more about the residue getting into groundwater and watersheds.</span><b=