[NatureNS] Are tiger moths poisonous?

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 08:54:23 -0300
From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Nancy and all,

A number of moth species are at least bad-tasting to predators.
According to David Wagner's "Caterpillars of Eastern North America" a
number of the Tiger moths are chemically protected, or believed to be
so, due to consumption of alkaloid plants.  He notes that those
species do not try to conceal themselves, will move about at times
when other caterpillars would hide, have conspicuous colours or
markings, and will remain on their food plant while resting instead of
seeking cover (see notes to the various species descriptions on pages
462 to 474).

Your mention of the chickadees reminds me of Gray Tree Frog that used
to sit in a cedar tree beside the porch light where I did much of my
moth photography back in Ontario.  He would sometimes hop onto my
shoulder or even my head to get closer to the moths and then
occasionally leap onto the wall to capture a moth.  A friend who also
photographs moths had come back out to her light to find a raccoon
hurriedly grabbing and eating moths off her moth sheet.

bev wigney
Round Hill in summer