[NatureNS] Caramelized White Spruce

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 13:33:37 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_nielAKdBks8n6Vlgds66lA)

I noticed deciduous trees and shrubs similarly affected the other day on
the Peggy's Cove road between French Village and Tantallon. All were
facing roughly south-west and were frequently close (the road's width)
to the sea -  and the worst and most consistently affected appeared only
affected on the seaward side; I had assumed it must be due to salt
damage following the storm.

Eleanor Lindsay
St Margarets Bay

On 13/07/2014 11:43 AM, Rick Whitman wrote:
> I drove the Cobequid Pass toll road both Friday & Saturday. The brown
> shade to the foliage on the deciduous trees was obvious and sad. I'm
> not saying the foliage is dead but the damage must be highly
> significant and somewhat negative to survival over the next year or
> so. I didn't stop for photos. This high altitude area was far worse
> than the overall view in n. NS & se. NB.
>
> Rick Whitman
>
> On 7/13/14, Burkhard Plache <burkhardplache@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We were paddling yesterday out of Terence Bay,
>> and saw the same pattern on the outlying islands.
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM, David Patriquin
>> <David.Patriquin@dal.ca> wrote:
>>> On a joint Halifax Field Naturalists/Nova Scotia Wildflower Society walk
>>> at
>>> Prospect Head yesterday (July 12, 2014), we noted extensive browning of
>>> vegetation which was attributed to salt burn associated with sea spray
>>> from
>>> Tropical Storm Arthur 8 days before, preceded and followed by hot, dry
>>> weather.
>>>
>>> At one point, a few of us paused and wondered about a strong smell of
>>> caramelized sugar that seemed to come from a white spruce. (It reminded
>>> me
>>> of the smell from sugar cane mills in the West Indies in days gone by.) A
>>> brief investigation revealed the source as the browned needles on branch
>>> tips. A few pics at http://versicolor.ca/caramspruce

--Boundary_(ID_nielAKdBks8n6Vlgds66lA)

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      affected the other day on the Peggy's Cove road</font> between
    French Village and Tantallon. All were facing roughly south-west and
    were frequently close (the road's width) to the sea -  and the worst
    and most consistently affected appeared only affected on the seaward
    side; I had assumed it must be due to salt damage following the
    storm.<br>
    Eleanor Lindsay<br>
    St Margarets Bay<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAA9nSY9ZoyvLuJ6QzTaOD1o5=GO3mBdzPM4-RbJE7mi3hdWjZA@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">I drove the Cobequid Pass toll road both Friday &amp; Saturday. The brown
shade to the foliage on the deciduous trees was obvious and sad. I'm
not saying the foliage is dead but the damage must be highly
significant and somewhat negative to survival over the next year or
so. I didn't stop for photos. This high altitude area was far worse
than the overall view in n. NS &amp; se. NB.

Rick Whitman

        <pre wrap="">We were paddling yesterday out of Terence Bay,
and saw the same pattern on the outlying islands.

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM, David Patriquin
On a joint Halifax Field Naturalists/Nova Scotia Wildflower Society walk
at
Prospect Head yesterday (July 12, 2014), we noted extensive browning of
vegetation which was attributed to salt burn associated with sea spray
from
Tropical Storm Arthur 8 days before, preceded and followed by hot, dry
weather.

At one point, a few of us paused and wondered about a strong smell of
caramelized sugar that seemed to come from a white spruce. (It reminded
me
of the smell from sugar cane mills in the West Indies in days gone by.) A
brief investigation revealed the source as the browned needles on branch
tips. A few pics at http://versicolor.ca/caramspruce

</pre>
      <pre wrap="">
</pre>

--Boundary_(ID_nielAKdBks8n6Vlgds66lA)--