[NatureNS] Caramelized White Spruce

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 14:19:26 -0300

Hi Rick & All,                                    July 13, 2013
    A healthy deciduous tree normally has a good complement of reserves (but
at minimum about now when shoot growth is vigorous) so loss of
photosynthetic function may be only an inconvenience. But if there were two
or more consecutive stress years then tree death would be more likely and
almost .certain if the stress was leaf loss.

    Blow downs are another matter because a tree with a large crown will
often take more than four promising trees with it. And I don't think I have
ever seen so many small branches speared several inches into the ground; a
whiplash effect not gravity. The season may be past but any bird eggs or
nestlings in open tree nests would likely have been killed by this lashing.

    A shot of one of my roads shows windthrow clearly because the road is
otherwise free of trees.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/91817127@N08/14444462457/

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville