[NatureNS] Monarchs are laying eggs

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 14:44:35 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7b41cc748a187704fe16bb5e

PS, the Bogans are also graciously offering a great field trip 'Milkweed
and Monarchs' at their place on Saturday 2 August:
http://www.blomidonnaturalists.ca/node/483

Saturday, 2 August, 2014 - Milkweed and Monarchs - Larry and Alison Bogan.
Meet at the Bogan house (6539 Brooklyn Street, Brooklyn Corner) at 10 a.m.
or meet at the Wolfville Waterfront at 9:30 a.m. to travel to Brooklyn
Corner together. During the trip, participants will look at the Common
Milkweed in the Bogans' field and survey for eggs and caterpillars of the
Monarch butterfly. Alison and Larry will explain the process of raising the
Monarchs from egg to adult and how they tag the adults for migration
information. Participants will also look for other butterflies that might
be in the field at the time. The field is a Monarch Waystation and the
Bogans will explain how an area can get such a designation. If any one
wishes to transplant Milkweed to their garden to make habitat for Monarchs,
bring a plastic bag to carry some roots. Alison has a butterfly garden and
will show and describe the flowers and plants there

cheers,
James

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--047d7b41cc748a187704fe16bb5e

trip &#39;Milkweed and Monarchs&#39; at their place on Saturday 2 August:&n=
bsp;<div><a href=3D"http://www.blomidonnaturalists.ca/node/483">http://www.=
blomidonnaturalists.ca/node/483</a><br>

 &ndash; Larry and Alison Bogan. Meet at the Bogan house (6539 Brooklyn Str=
eet, Brooklyn Corner) at 10 a.m. or meet at the Wolfville Waterfront at 9:3=
0 a.m. to travel to Brooklyn Corner together. During the trip, participants=
 will look at the Common Milkweed in the Bogans&rsquo; field and survey for=
 eggs and caterpillars of the Monarch butterfly. Alison and Larry will expl=
ain the process of raising the Monarchs from egg to adult and how they tag =
the adults for migration information. Participants will also look for other=
 butterflies that might be in the field at the time. The field is a Monarch=
 Waystation and the Bogans will explain how an area can get such a designat=
ion. If any one wishes to transplant Milkweed to their garden to make habit=
at for Monarchs, bring a plastic bag to carry some roots. Alison has a butt=
erfly garden and will show and describe the flowers and plants there<div cl=
ass=3D"gmail_extra">

Larry Bogan <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:larry@bogan.ca" target=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Today, we had a Monarch flying around our fi=
eld and landing frequently on our milkweed for nectar from the flowers but =
nearly as often on a small milkweed plants. Upon examination there were egg=
s on the underleaves. So far we have gathered about ten eggs to raise cater=
pillars. We willl look for more later, The female invariably lays on small =
leaves of the milkweed so we search on small plants. I mow part of the milk=
weed so that it will sprout into young plants which are more attractive for=
 egg laying.<br>

One surprise was that two of the eggs hatched soon after we brought them in=
. Usually, it takes a week or two for the eggs to hatch into larvae so ther=
e must have been another Monarch around that we did not observe. &nbsp;The =
Monarch presently in our field must have been fertilized elsewhere because =
we have not seen two at the same time.<br>

Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia<br>
&lt;larry@bogan.ca&gt;<br>
mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jameslchurchill@gmail.c=
om</a><br>