[NatureNS] Lupins

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 23:53:51 -0300
From: Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7b45011601ac4704fe6edef1

Hello David,

A low alkaloid variety of the White Lupin, Lupinus albus, was subjected to
trials as a forage crop here in Atlantic Canada (Nfld; PEI?) a number of
years ago (~1995 - 2005 perhaps). I have no idea whether or not farmers
continued to use it after the trials.

While I have seen lupin flour as a food ingredient,I am not aware of any
lupins being grown for human consumption in Atlantic Canada.  I understand
that L. angustifolius is the species used to make lupin flour and that most
of the production is in Australia.

Cheers

Ron

On Thursday, July 17, 2014, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
wrote:
> Dear All,                        July 17, 2014
>    Having learned ~65 years ago that Lupin seeds were toxic (Edible Wild
Plants of North America) I was surprised to learn by accident today that
Lupin seeds have been used by humans in Mediterranean countries for
thousands of years.

>    Does anyone know if any of these 'sweet' Lupins can be grown here and
whether they readily cross with our other introduced Lupins ?

--
Ronald G. Arsenault
Moncton, N.B.

--047d7b45011601ac4704fe6edef1

Hello David,<br><br>A low alkaloid variety of the White Lupin, Lupinus albu=
s, was subjected to trials as a forage crop here in Atlantic Canada (Nfld; =
PEI?) a number of years ago (~1995 - 2005 perhaps). I have no idea whether =
or not farmers continued to use it after the trials.<br>
y lupins being grown for human consumption in Atlantic Canada. =C2=A0I unde=
rstand that L. angustifolius is the species used to make lupin flour and th=
at most of the production is in Australia.<br>
 Webster &lt;dwebster@glinx.com&g=
t; wrote:<br>&gt; Dear All, =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0July 17, 2014<br>&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0Ha=
ving learned ~65 years ago that Lupin seeds were toxic (Edible Wild Plants =
of North America) I was surprised to learn by accident today that Lupin see=
ds have been used by humans in Mediterranean countries for thousands of yea=
rs.<br>
&gt;<br>&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0Does anyone know if any of these &#39;sweet&#39; =