[NatureNS] Roof gutter diatoms ?

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 20:45:34 -0300

Dear All,                                        July 19, 2014
    While cleaning debris from a roof gutter this morning I noticed the
tell-tale sheen of Diatom oil near one corner that had likely held water for
14 days since Arthur. The down-spout screen was plugged solid and the gutter
had an unusually rich combination of leaves and ripe cherries both live when
pulped and mashed by wind action.

    A roof gutter does not come to mind as potential Diatom habitat but I
wonder if some can form dornant stages that can be distributed by air. I
saved some of the mush this evening in case I have time to look at it for
possible Diatoms.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville