[NatureNS] an incredible Chimney Swift day

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 22:11:31 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: Holly Lightfoot <hlightfoot@bsc-eoc.org>,

--047d7b5d4840c42eaa04fea9caa8

hi folks,

You might recall Donna Crossland posted last week about finding nesting
Chimney Swifts in her parents' barn and another nearby location. Today, I
accompanied Donna and Mark Elderkin to investigate a number of other barns
in the East Dalhousie area.

Within a stretch of a a few kilometers, *every single old barn we checked
had either an active nest or a recently used nest* attached to the loft
wall near the roof. We observed 7 barns and, if I recall correctly, we
deemed that 6 of them were likely currently active ranging in stage from an
adult incubating 3 eggs, to a nest full of 4 screeching nestlings, to
recently 'fledged' young clinging to the barn wall. For never having seen a
nest site, this was spectacular.

As Donna mentioned earlier, the nests are easy to miss since they are small
and high in dark areas of the loft. All nests found today were within a
couple of feet the roof apex, in aging/dilapidated barns where the birds
had some form of access to the interior of the barn. Many had open windows
near the roof, but others appeared to be using barn doors for entry. These
nest sites could easily be missed without deliberate scrutiny (strong
flashlight). A number of landowners we talked with also mentioned that
adults around the nest were often not vocalizing so might not be detected
coming in and out of the barn. Most landowners were initially puzzled and
intrigued by us, but all seemed excited to know their barn was a nesting
site.

*If there are barns or other out buildings near you with similar
characteristics- consider investigating them closely* - *and soon*! Based
on what we found today, we are currently in a great window to assess
nesting activity.

Thanks to Donna and Mark's insight, this is an important and
meme-stretching find for the region. whether this is a local concentration
or a more general phenomenon will be interesting to know...

This Friday night, BNS/Bird Studies Canada, Maritimes Swiftwatch are
holding our 2nd 'Swift Night Out Wolfville' event. We will have a talk, by
Holly Lightfoot, Swiftwatch, on current research including this
'alternative' (important?) nesting habitat for Chimney Swifts. Then of
course, JustUs! coffee and others treats at the Robie Tufts Nature Centre
while we watch the nightly roost. Last year we had about 100 adults and
children (human ones) join us:
http://www.blomidonnaturalists.ca/swiftNightOut

cheers,
James.

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--047d7b5d4840c42eaa04fea9caa8

ssland posted last week about finding nesting Chimney Swifts in her parents=
&#39; barn and another nearby location. Today, I accompanied Donna and Mark=
 Elderkin to investigate a number of other barns in the East Dalhousie area=
.</div>

 old barn we checked had either an active nest or a recently used nest</b> =
attached to the loft wall near the roof. We observed 7 barns and, if I reca=
ll correctly, we deemed that 6 of them were likely currently active ranging=
 in stage from an adult incubating 3 eggs, to a nest full of 4 screeching n=
estlings, to recently &#39;fledged&#39; young clinging to the barn wall. Fo=
r never having seen a nest site, this was spectacular.</div>

miss since they are small and high in dark areas of the loft. All nests fou=
nd today were within a couple of feet the roof apex, in aging/dilapidated b=
arns where the birds had some form of access to the interior of the barn. M=
any had open windows near the roof, but others appeared to be using barn do=
ors for entry. These nest sites could easily be missed without deliberate s=
crutiny (strong flashlight). A number of landowners we talked with also men=
tioned that adults around the nest were often not vocalizing so might not b=
e detected coming in and out of the barn. Most landowners were initially pu=
zzled and intrigued by us, but all seemed excited to know their barn was a =
nesting site.</div>

 you with similar characteristics- consider investigating them closely</b> =
- <b>and soon</b>! Based on what we found today, we are currently in a grea=
t window to assess nesting activity.</div>

rtant and meme-stretching find for the region. whether this is a local conc=
entration or a more general phenomenon will be interesting to know...</div>

Maritimes Swiftwatch are holding our 2nd &#39;Swift Night Out Wolfville&#39=
; event. We will have a talk, by Holly Lightfoot, Swiftwatch, on current re=
search including this &#39;alternative&#39; (important?) nesting habitat fo=
r Chimney Swifts. Then of course, JustUs! coffee and others treats at the R=
obie Tufts Nature Centre while we watch the nightly roost. Last year we had=
 about 100 adults and children (human ones) join us: <a href=3D"http://www.=
blomidonnaturalists.ca/swiftNightOut">http://www.blomidonnaturalists.ca/swi=
ftNightOut</a></div>

ntville, Nova Scotia<br><a href=3D"mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com" target=