[NatureNS] Hurricane Arthur's Impact on Tree Foliage

From: Maria Forman <maria@seasidehighspeed.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 13:42:02 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-A436A4BD-1880-42E8-94D1-0643078ACAB0

=46rom Upper Economy thru to Five Islands there are a lot if trees damaged a=
s well. Interesting to note, the damage is quite visible up into the mountai=
ns. They are saying the salt water carried in the wind created this damage. I=
s it possible for the salt to go that far inland?? =20

Maria

> On Jul 21, 2014, at 10:53 AM, Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.c=
om> wrote:
>=20
> We had a bit of discussion on this earlier. I spent Saturday & Sunday in Y=
armouth & Shelburne Co's, primarily out along the coast. The marginal damage=
 as leaf browning was easily seen at many locations and on many yard trees n=
ear the coast. I decided to photograph what were, for me, about the extremes=
 seen. It does appear that maples, horse chestnut and Japanese knotweed (lol=
) were particularly susceptible but out along the coast you could see some "=
burning" on almost everything.
>=20
> I've uploaded a photo of maple trees on the main road in Clark's Harbour, C=
SI. At that particular point, there was nothing behind the house but low gra=
ss down to the ocean, facing W of course. I had already concluded that maple=
s were showing about the worst impact. Note browning on the background veget=
ation between the two houses too.
>=20
> The spruce tree is at Hemeon Head, on the W side of the Head going down to=
 Black Point Beach, very exposed but not right on the ocean. If you look clo=
sely you'll see similar browning on most of the spruce in the background. Th=
e damage is remarkably one-sided.
>=20
> http://rickwhitman.smugmug.com/Nature/Glory-Photos/25057548_TGdsjQ#!i=3D34=
01646401&k=3DNV6XVN8
>=20
> Rick Whitman

--Apple-Mail-A436A4BD-1880-42E8-94D1-0643078ACAB0

nds there are a lot if trees damaged as well. Interesting to note, the damag=
e is quite visible up into the mountains. They are saying the salt water car=
ried in the wind created this damage. Is it possible for the salt to go that=
, Rick Whitman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com">dendr=
cite"><div><div dir=3D"ltr">We had a bit of discussion on this earlier. I sp=
ent Saturday &amp; Sunday in Yarmouth &amp; Shelburne Co's, primarily out al=
ong the coast. The marginal damage as leaf browning was easily seen at many l=
ocations and on many yard trees near the coast. I decided to photograph what=
 were, for me, about the extremes seen. It does appear that maples, horse ch=
estnut and Japanese knotweed (lol) were particularly susceptible but out alo=
ng the coast you could see some "burning" on almost everything.<div>
k's Harbour, CSI. At that particular point, there was nothing behind the hou=
se but low grass down to the ocean, facing W of course. I had already conclu=
ded that maples were showing about the worst impact. Note browning on the ba=
ckground vegetation between the two houses too.</div>
ead going down to Black Point Beach, very exposed but not right on the ocean=
. If you look closely you'll see similar browning on most of the spruce in t=
he background. The damage is remarkably one-sided.</div>
hotos/25057548_TGdsjQ#!i=3D3401646401&amp;k=3DNV6XVN8">http://rickwhitman.sm=
ugmug.com/Nature/Glory-Photos/25057548_TGdsjQ#!i=3D3401646401&amp;k=3DNV6XVN=
8</a><br>

--Apple-Mail-A436A4BD-1880-42E8-94D1-0643078ACAB0--