[NatureNS] Fwd: Great White Shark

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:16:31 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7b3a9778ab3aa004fedb50b3

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nick Hawkins <nickjameshawkins@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Subject: Great White Shark
To: NATURENB@listserv.unb.ca

Our shark biologist friend Dr. Steve Turnbull has confirmed that a massive
shark we encountered off tongue shoal near the mouth of the St. Andrews
harbour was as we suspected - a Great White Shark!

While crossing the Passamaquoddy Bay we saw the large shark thrashing at
the surface, its tail fin slashing through the water as it seemed to pursue
something, most likely a porpoise or a seal. We turned around and
approached the area and managed to relocate the shark that was swimming
calmly with a small section of its dorsal fin above the surface. The shark
allowed us to approach multiple times, putting the huge shark directly
beside the boat for all to see.

A conservative estimate of the sharks size would range between 15-20 feet,
enough on its own to set it apart from other commonly sighted species of
sharks like the mako and porbeagle. In addition, photographs clearly show
the other important ID markers of the white shark - the pointed tip of the
dorsal fin and the fact that the trailing edge of the pectoral fins are in
line with the leading edge of the dorsal. It was truly amazing to be the in
presence of such a creature!

We have photos up on our facebook page, and a short video as well -
www.facebook.com/quoddylinkmarine

and check out this link to a short video on youtube -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-FegG0U40k&feature=share

Cheers,
-Nick
NatureNB guidelines  http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbe.html
Foire aux questions de NatureNB  http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbf.html

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--047d7b3a9778ab3aa004fedb50b3

pan dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nickjameshawkins@gmail.com">nickjames=

Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM<br>Subject: Great White Shark<br>To: <a =
href=3D"mailto:NATURENB@listserv.unb.ca">NATURENB@listserv.unb.ca</a><br><b=
r><br>Our shark biologist friend Dr. Steve Turnbull has confirmed that a ma=
ssive shark we encountered off tongue shoal near the mouth of the St. Andre=
ws harbour was as we suspected - a Great White Shark!<br>

While crossing the Passamaquoddy Bay we saw the large shark thrashing at th=
e surface, its tail fin slashing through the water as it seemed to pursue s=
omething, most likely a porpoise or a seal. We turned around and approached=
 the area and managed to relocate the shark that was swimming calmly with a=
 small section of its dorsal fin above the surface. The shark allowed us to=
 approach multiple times, putting the huge shark directly beside the boat f=
or all to see.<br>

A conservative estimate of the sharks size would range between 15-20 feet, =
enough on its own to set it apart from other commonly sighted species of sh=
arks like the mako and porbeagle. In addition, photographs clearly show the=
 other important ID markers of the white shark - the pointed tip of the dor=
sal fin and the fact that the trailing edge of the pectoral fins are in lin=
e with the leading edge of the dorsal. It was truly amazing to be the in pr=
esence of such a creature!<br>

We have photos up on our facebook page, and a short video as well - <a href=
=3D"http://www.facebook.com/quoddylinkmarine" target=3D"_blank">www.faceboo=
k.com/quoddylinkmarine</a><br>
and check out this link to a short video on youtube -<br>
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DG-FegG0U40k&amp;featur=
e=3Dshare</a><br>
Cheers,<br>
-Nick<br>