[NatureNS] Moulting Hairy WP at HB feeder

From: Nancy P Dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:34:14 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

A very scruffy Hairy WP was hanging off the Hummingbird feeder sucking down sugar water. The adult WPs must be moulting now. This one looked very light and not at all defined black and white as usual. Even the bill was light grey/white. And the scrawny neck and head appeared primitive. Or perhaps it was a juvenile taking on adult plumage? In all the years I have had Hairys coming to bird feeders I have never seen a moulting adult/young before.

The sugar water level was visibly going down as it drank.

Nancy
East Dalhousie, King Co.

Sent from my iPhone