[NatureNS] Chimney Swifts, Barn and Bank Swallows

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:54:11 -0300

July 30, 2014:

This morning @ 10:35 -10:40 am, I counted  32 Chimney Swifts flying over the
"Just Us" coffee house in Wolfville, heading SW,  as if they had just exited
the RTNC chimney.  I do not know if more had passed by earlier as I only
became aware of them as I stepped out of my car.

This afternoon I came across telephone wires adorned with multi families of
Barn Swallows today on the Eye Rd (close to the former Muir Murray winery),
Grand Pre. There were 35 young fledglings perched on the wires, some still
showing light coloured feathers on their wings, with adults appearing
periodically to offer food or coax them to get airborne.

It seemed to be also the day when many starling families were gathering
everywhere.  Noted 100-150 along the Long Island West Rd, Grand Pre, alone.
A brighter sight was of a young family of Cedar Waxwings being fed near Jean
Leung's home,  a Merlin was spotted heading westwards.   20-25 Bank
Swallows, possibly ones from the small colony at Evangeline  Beach that Jim
Wolford reported, were hawking over this area as well.

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts

    Wolfville