[NatureNS] report from Middle River of Pictou - Laughing Gull, Caspian Tern etc.

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 00:33:50 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_010B_01CFADE9.6E26DE60

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all

Been working inside last few days on spreadsheets so made a trip out =
this evening to the Middle River dyke or old railway bed from Granton to =
the Middle river spillway. It was a beautiful evening and very good =
birding and I wished I had left 30 min. earlier. Even the  nearby =
notorious pulp mill, much in the news lately, was co-operating with the =
plume going straight up and no drift in my direction. I quickly lowered =
the sleeves of my shirt and applied a few squirts of deet- this is not =
an area for exposed skin!- mozzies!
=20
At the first little cattail marsh I noticed a Sora with a black young =
that made a quick move to get behind cattail cover. An Eastern Wood =
Peewee was calling nearby and a Northern Parula appeared carrying food. =
Once I reached the reservoir, I noted the water level was down =
considerably since my last visit. Several Spotted Sandpipers were busy =
calling and teetering on the south side of the dyke as well as several =
active Belted Kingfishers sallying out from perches along the =
reservoir.. The single Greater Scaup I saw last couple of visits was =
boosted in numbers with a total of 47 present. I counted 11 Hooded =
Mergansers all in female or juvenile appearance. I was surprised to see =
a female Common Goldeneye with a half grown young one beside it. I think =
this is my first evidence of young COGE for Pictou Co. They have been =
known to breed just outside the county in the Honeymoon Bog -Trafalgar =
area for years. I have seen the lone female in a couple of visits =
lately.  Cedar Waxwings were fly-catching along the dyke walk and =
overhead, I counted at least 70 swallows- mostly Barn Swallows. Some I =
had to leave unidentified. An adult and an immature Bald Eagle flew =
toward the spillway and looking back at the pumping station, I could see =
2 Osprey on the nest and another on the building.=20

As I got close to the 2 exposed bars on the south side near the =
spillway, a group of 54 Common Mergansers which had been resting on the =
bar flew off, but later returned. Gulls and terns also took off, but =
most returned- lucky for me as there were some surprises in the flock. =
Most common bird was 50 RB Gulls, and 23 Bonaparte's Gulls scattered =
about. The darker mantle of an adult Laughing Gull stood out as did the =
size and large bill of a Caspian Tern dwarfing 10+ Common Terns.  There =
was a larger dark juvenile gull with a prominent ear patch and speckly =
back with a Lesser-black-backed Gull look to it. I snapped a few distant =
shots in the lowering light- maybe the bird can be identified with the =
shots, but for now I counted as  "gull species". Also on the bar was a =
nice grouping of  15 noisy Spotted Sandpipers. =20

My time was running short as I wanted to do a Chimney Swift check at =
Temperance St. school in New Glasgow. I quickly back-tracked to my =
vehicle quickly counting about 300 Double-crested Cormorants flying =
south from the area of the Pictou Causeway  to land on the south side of =
the dyke.  An Alder Flycatcher calling at Granton end of the dyke was my =
last addition for the walk. My ebird total for the walk of 80 min. was =
39+ species.=20

I made it to the school with 5 min. to spare and noted 160 Chimney =
Swifts enter the chimney 8:57-9:03. Summer numbers peaked at 313 July =
30. There were 229 July 31, so the birds appear to be moving out of =
Pictou Co. In less than a couple weeks all will likely be gone!  Anyway =
great nature evening in Pictou Co.=20

all the best
Ken

------=_NextPart_000_010B_01CFADE9.6E26DE60

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Been working inside last few days on =
spreadsheets=20
so made a trip out this evening to the Middle River dyke or old railway =
bed from=20
Granton to the Middle river spillway. It was a beautiful evening and =
very good=20
birding and I wished I had left 30 min. earlier. Even the&nbsp; nearby =
notorious=20
pulp mill, much in the news lately,&nbsp;was co-operating with the plume =
going=20
straight up and no drift in my direction. I quickly lowered the sleeves =
of my=20
shirt and applied a few&nbsp;squirts of deet- this is not an area for =
exposed=20
skin!- mozzies!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>At the first little cattail marsh I =
noticed a=20
<STRONG>Sora </STRONG>with a black young that made a quick move to get =
behind=20
cattail&nbsp;cover. An <STRONG>Eastern Wood Peewee</STRONG> was calling =
nearby=20
and a <STRONG>Northern Parula</STRONG> appeared carrying food. Once I =
reached=20
the reservoir, I noted the water level was down considerably since my =
last=20
visit. Several <STRONG>Spotted Sandpipers</STRONG> were busy calling and =

teetering on the south side of the dyke as well as several active =
<STRONG>Belted=20
Kingfishers </STRONG>sallying out from perches along the reservoir.. The =
single=20
<STRONG>Greater Scaup</STRONG> I saw last couple of visits was boosted =
in=20
numbers with a total of <STRONG>47 </STRONG>present. I counted 11 =
<STRONG>Hooded=20
Mergansers</STRONG>&nbsp;all in female or juvenile appearance. I was =
surprised=20
to see a female <STRONG>Common Goldeneye</STRONG> with a half grown =
young one=20
beside it. I think this is my first evidence of young COGE for Pictou =
Co.=20
They&nbsp;have been known to breed just outside the county in the =
Honeymoon Bog=20
-Trafalgar area for years.&nbsp;I have seen the lone female in a couple =
of=20
visits lately. <STRONG>&nbsp;Cedar Waxwings</STRONG> were fly-catching =
along the=20
dyke walk and overhead, I counted at least 70 swallows- mostly =
<STRONG>Barn=20
Swallows</STRONG>. Some I had to leave unidentified. An adult and an =
immature=20
<STRONG>Bald&nbsp;Eagle</STRONG> flew toward the spillway and looking=20
back&nbsp;at the pumping station, I could see 2 <STRONG>Osprey =
</STRONG>on the=20
nest and another on the building.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>As I got close to the 2 exposed =
bars&nbsp;on the=20
south side near the spillway,&nbsp;a group of 54 <STRONG>Common=20
Mergansers</STRONG>&nbsp;which had been&nbsp;resting on the bar flew =
off, but=20
later returned. Gulls and terns also took off, but most returned- lucky =
for me=20
as there were some surprises in the flock. Most common bird was 50 =
<STRONG>RB=20
Gulls</STRONG>, and 23 <STRONG>Bonaparte's Gulls&nbsp;</STRONG>scattered =
about.=20
The darker mantle of an adult <STRONG>Laughing Gull</STRONG> stood out =
as did=20
the size and large bill of a <STRONG>Caspian Tern</STRONG> dwarfing 10+=20
<STRONG>Common Terns</STRONG>. &nbsp;There was a larger dark juvenile =
gull with=20
a prominent ear patch and speckly back with a Lesser-black-backed Gull =
look to=20
it. I snapped a few distant shots in the lowering light- maybe the bird =
can be=20
identified with&nbsp;the shots,&nbsp;but for now I counted as&nbsp; =
"gull=20
species". Also on the bar was a nice grouping of&nbsp; =
<STRONG>15</STRONG> noisy=20
<STRONG>Spotted Sandpipers.&nbsp;</STRONG>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>My time was running short as I wanted =
to do a=20
Chimney Swift check at Temperance St. school in New Glasgow. I quickly=20
back-tracked to my vehicle quickly counting about 300 Double-crested =
Cormorants=20
flying south&nbsp;from the area of the Pictou Causeway&nbsp; to land on =
the=20
south side of the&nbsp;dyke.&nbsp; An <STRONG>Alder Flycatcher</STRONG> =
calling=20
at Granton end of the dyke was my last addition for the walk. My ebird =
total for=20
the walk of 80 min. was 39+ species. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I made it to the school with 5 min. to =
spare and=20
noted 160 <STRONG>Chimney Swifts</STRONG> enter the chimney 8:57-9:03. =
Summer=20
numbers peaked at 313 July 30. There were 229 July 31, so the birds =
appear to be=20
moving out of Pictou Co. In less than a couple weeks all will likely be=20
gone!&nbsp; Anyway great nature evening in Pictou Co. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>all the best</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_010B_01CFADE9.6E26DE60--