[NatureNS] mushroom id?

Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 02:02:35 -0300
From: Doug Linzey <doug.linzey@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

This illustrates one of the problems with using common names. If you
Google "Scarlet Waxy Cap," you'll find a few different species, but the
most likely is Hygrocybe punicea, which is not the one identified in
Dave Ingram's photo in the first URL quoted here (he identifies it as
Hygrophorus miniatus).

The reason I suggested H. cantharellus is the clearly shown decurrent
gills in Nancy's photos. Another reason for either Hygrocybe punicea or
Hygrophorus miniatus being unlikely is that they are late-season mushrooms.

I don't pretend to be the least bit knowledgeable on the subject
(although I'm confident enough to cook the Cantharellus cibarius I
picked today). It would be good to hear from someone more expert.

Cheers,
Doug Linzey