[NatureNS] Swift nests

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:25:52 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e0129499e5e7c090500988645

hi folks,

Just some thoughts re: the Herald and New Glasgow articles on the re-habbed
'Swiftlings'. Local experts please chi(r)p in and correct any
misinformation.

Are NS Chimney Swifts 'gone from the province by mid August'?
- the breeding period for Swifts in the Maritimes is May-Sept (via BSC)
- there are currently still active nests in the province (some known and
many unknown)
- although counts at the major roosts suggest that drops in numbers seem to
occur throughout August, in many years birds are sticking around until
early September (late nesters like this?)
- in "All the Birds of Nova Scotia" Ian states, "most leave by
mid-September"

Neither the Herald nor New Glasgow article mentions that Chimney Swift
young discovered in August do not necessarily need our help if found. Just
suggesting it would be unfortunate for the meme to be promoted that August
Swiftlings are unusual and need to be helped if found. ('rescuing' is a
different discussion!)

(to clarify, I'm not arguing that these New Glasgow Swifts should not have
been helped in some way by Cobequid; just that Swifts are likely not gone
from NS by mid-August, and August Swiftlings are perhaps not unusual. In
the spirit of discussion, happy to hear arguments otherwise that bring us
closest to the true story for NS).

cheers,
James.

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--089e0129499e5e7c090500988645

hts re: the Herald and New Glasgow articles on the re-habbed &#39;Swiftling=
s&#39;. Local experts please chi(r)p in and correct any misinformation.<br>=

Are NS Chimney Swifts &#39;gone from the province by mid August&#39;?=A0<br=
via BSC)</div><div>- there are currently still active nests in the province=
 (some known and many unknown)</div>

em to occur throughout August, in many years birds are sticking around unti=
l early September (late nesters like this?)<br></div>
 nor New Glasgow article mentions that Chimney Swift young discovered in Au=
gust do not necessarily need our help if found. Just suggesting it would be=
 unfortunate for the meme to be promoted that August Swiftlings are unusual=
 and need to be helped if found. (&#39;rescuing&#39; is a different discuss=
ion!)</div>

 Swifts should not have been helped in some way by Cobequid; just that Swif=
ts are likely not gone from NS by mid-August, and August Swiftlings are per=
haps not unusual. In the spirit of discussion, happy to hear arguments othe=
rwise that bring us closest to the true story for NS).=A0</div>

=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 9:3=
6 AM, David &amp; Alison Webster <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dw=
ebster@glinx.com" target=3D"_blank">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote=
:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Dear All, =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Aug 14, 2014<br>
=A0 =A0I notice in yesterday&#39;s Chron. Hrld. article (Swifts perk up aft=
er Cobequid centre care) that &quot;The swifts usually leave the small nest=
 attached to the inside of a chimney at dawn...&quot; which lays the ground=
work for a host of further explanations such as-- but sometimes remove it t=
hen if the early market for false bird&#39;s nest soup is trending upward. =
=A0-- and arrange to have it removed later in the day when it is not so dar=
n dark in there. =A0-- =A0and sometimes just leave it there and move on; pr=
ovided they can find some safe place where they can abandon the kids.<br>

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville<br>
ltr">James Churchill<br>Kentville, Nova Scotia<br><a href=3D"mailto:jameslc=
hurchill@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jameslchurchill@gmail.com</a><br><a h=
ref=3D"tel:%28902%29%20681-2374" value=3D"+19026812374" target=3D"_blank">(=
902) 681-2374</a><br>

--089e0129499e5e7c090500988645--