[NatureNS] Swift nests

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 23:45:20 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0068_01CFB819.CF12C240

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi James
I am sure Helene will chime in on this, but the birds found were =
displaced from a chimney nest and delivered sans parents to a New =
Glasgow vet clinic and had quite a ways to go before being released. =
Helene likes to release at a known roost in the evening as the other =
birds in the area are going in and thus the young ones will be guided by =
others as to when and where to go in migration. This gets less reliable =
after mid August. as birds going to roosts declines to nil. In New =
Glasgow tonight I had 9 birds so soon all will be gone from this area =
and it will be awhile before the Quebec bound rescued swifts will be =
released. I know there are still swifts on or near nests. I am unsure =
why swifts disappear from the roosts before nesting season is done. One =
of life's little mysteries??  It sure has been proven in spades this =
year that many swiftlings are around in August. For the last number of =
years, I have seen very few swifts in Pictou Co. after mid-August.=20
cheers
Ken

PS It also could be possible there are other birds already in the =
chimney before I arrived tonite, but I think that is less likely.=20

----- Original Message -----=20